What are you listening to

That’s what I mean. Goofy was talking about being worried about being shy musically. ODB Mothafuckas! I suppose crack and shit isn’t a freely available commodity though. My bad.

You walk into a modern art gallery and people are like “My kid could have painted that!” And it’s like, yeah he could have, but he didn’t. Any idiot could have done what Biz Marke did, but they didn’t. That’s why you are you and Biz Marke is Biz Marke.

Fuck, everything about this is excellent.

2 Likes

We’re crossing paths here. I was just telling Goofy to be goofy and make music without worrying about a top ten hit. Music should be played and enjoyed by everyone. Dancing and playing instruments with friends or peers is as close to sex as you can get.

2 Likes

So much this. Tho I would exclude his lyricism on 36 chambers. That was pure fire.

Biz Marke and ODB are honestly just garbage at rapping and they have no skills, but they laid everything out there like a boss and there’s nothing you can say. It’s so fun to listen to.

David Bowie and Prince had phenomenal talent and skills. But really what people love is that they just did their own thing with no compromising. I never got into glam rock, but I still respect the fuck out of how bold these dudes were.

2 Likes

I don’t think it was fire at all, but also, it simply would not be the album it was without him. He just brought this “I don’t give a fuck” energy that makes it a masterpiece.

1 Like

exactly. I appreciate that a ton though too!

You just reduced Bowie to “glam rock.” Pretty sure I can’t hear anything you’re saying.

1 Like

popkern

OK this is true. David Bowie isn’t just “Glam Rock,” he’s fucking David Bowie. In the same way, ODB isn’t really a rapper at all, he’s the fucking ODB. What I’m trying to say is that some of these artists just create their own space through sheer force of personality.

2 Likes

I understood you

Admittedly I’m way under listened on both artists. Bowie’s range is so wide. If I had to compare the dynamism of Dilla’s productions to a rock artist he’s probably the closest I could come up with. Just knowing Ground Control, *Under Pressure, and Subterraneans is pretty strong evidence.

*duly noted that Queen was responsible for the brunt of the ideas

Was never a huge Prince fan either. He just commands the respect of so many respected musicians that his prominence is understood. Also, in the 90’s there was a saying: “If you like girls, you like Prince.”

I was kind of laughing at the idea of equating Cinderella to ^. I should know; I had a glam metal/rock phase. Best glam metal ballad should definitely be a future walrus category.

So I went on a deep dive and I figured out why Pharoahe never blew up as an artist: it’s because he made huge money as a ghostwriter. Listen to this, it’s so obvious this is Diddy doing hilariously bad karaoke of Monch’s rhyme schemes:

Even more amazing, Pharoahe slipped in a reference to the fact that Diddy was paying people to write for him, and Diddy may have been too dumb to catch on:

1 Like

I’d hang this one in the dadaism wing of the gallery next to LHOOQ by Marcel Duchamp, i.e., painting a mustache on a classic.

Viktor Vaughn featuring Apani B (tha fly emcee). Always loved Doom’s jazzier offerings and sci-fi samples over the light fm radio stuff.

Apani really shines on this one. And Doom doing Doom stuff. Rhyme schemes untouchable.

1 Like