Weight Loss Drugs, the future of medicine. Argle Bargle or Fooforaw?

Most drugs prescribed these days are for life absent significant lifestyle changes. If people get in shape while on the drugs, modify eating habits, and exercise 4 days a week, I doubt they would regain weight quickly.

Zepbound is labeled for weight loss, not diabetes. What’s your BMI? When I started mine was 32 with sleep apnea and (one episode of) atrial fibrillation as co-morbidities. The doctor was more than happy to prescribe it, but insurance demanded a BMI of 35+.

They regain weight. But like 95% of people who lose weight regain it at some point. So it’s unclear if that’s any worse with GLPs.

One thing that happens if you’re not vigilant about working out is losing muscle mass, which for older people can be really hard or impossible to regain. Peter Attia talks about seeing this in his patients on Ozempic. The patient was thrilled at how they looked, but their body composition was alarmingly worse.

But again, this is probably no different than crash dieting.

Right, I think if you focus on moderate weight training and a higher than average protien mix in your total diet you should be fine. Especially once you lose weight, trading out whatever time you spend on cardio with weight training shouldnt affect your day at all and will help keep the muscle mass

My BMI is about 40

Yeah, my plan is to keep going to Crossfit or lifting during the process.

If my BMI was 40 my insurance would’ve paid for it even without the comorbidities. Either way you should have no problem getting the script. And for the record I agree with you, this seems like an excellent area to spend money.

I am seeing a doc next month in WI for the first time and if they dont want to prescribe I will go compounding route.

That could get pretty pricey over a lifetime! It will get cheaper though and making it easier to enact those lifestyle changes you mention are the really cool things to me.

OK, that helps my mental model a bit.

That is a really interesting point about the loss of muscle mass. My mom has been on these for a little while now and definitely lost weight and I don’t think she’s doing much lifting either. I need to ask a few more questions.

It’s too pricey now, but the patents are not going to last that much longer and there will be generic competitors in a few years. At current prices they would eventually break medicare.

This is mostly correct, but even 75 year olds new to weight training can put on significant muscle mass and gain real strength, so they don’t fall over, hit their head/break a hip, and die.

Yeah, generics will be available in about 4 years, right?

It’s complicated. The injection pens are probably locked up for another 15 years, and formulations like Zepbound are different than basic semaglutide. I think there will be basic generics available in like 3-5 years.

One other thing about the cost: I bet I’m saving a couple hundred dollars a month on food, so that reduces the net spend as well.

Been stuck on 155 for a while. Goal is to get to 150 and see my abs again. Hard to eat better or exercise more than I have been.

Is Ozempic the answer?

1 Like

I generally feel unsatisfied if i dont spend 6 hours a day playing an array of video games while getting high and watching cartoons. Could ozempic help me get that number down to 1 or 2 hours a day?

My doc shut down my casual mention of semaglutide (I’m fat but don’t need a farm animal scale, no diabeetus). Said the side effects were brutal (vomiting, diarrhea) and you risk a condition where your stomach paralyzes and shuts down or something.

I said that seems like a small price to pay for bikini season, but no sale this year during the annual.

1 Like

Listening to your doctor is good policy. After I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and was struggling to get treated I went to my doctor really just wanting his opinion on Zepbound, and he was like “oh you should totally take that”, and so I did!

1 Like

Your doc is weird. Did you tell him all the cool kids are doing it?