Walrus Grab Bag 4 Reveal

I’ll take 6th!

And 1st place in the Billy Joel mini game

3 Likes

Anybody else ready to reveal this week? Get after it!

2 Likes

I most likely will this week, just can’t call the day yet.

3 Likes

Same for me, I’ll probably know more tomorrow.

3 Likes

Here here! Gettin’ ready :slight_smile:

7 Likes

5 Likes

My body is ready for bottom three number three!

4 Likes

So, the bottom two here are quite similar to each other as they are from the same exact genre.

12th place (1 point) - Pastofonika - Jestem Bogiem (Eng trans: “I’m A God”)

Honestly, I tried to give Polish rap a shot. I really did. Rap can definitely sound good in other languages (there’s some solid Korean and Japanese rap out there) but it’s just lacking in general, especially this song. I admire the risk that two competitors took given my described resistance to rap but unfortunately it didn’t pay off.

4 Likes

@pyatnitski
@smrk4
@Yuv
@eyebooger
@seities
@nano
@CanadaMatt3004
@cassette
@NotBruceZ
@LouisCyphre
@SwankyWilder
@Nicholasp27

2 Likes

A youth recommended my submission here so I take no responsibility. Unless Bob liked it. Then I am Slavic genius.

5 Likes

Oops. Forgot that.

3 Likes

So I’ve gone 1st 2nd and last, continuing my glorious run of nodium or podium in my last 9 submissions

I knew the entry was unlikely to do well given SUB conditions but I had been listening to this genre anyway and this was a personal favourite.

Really looking forward to the rest of the entries

6 Likes

11th place (2 points): Cypis - Gdzie jest biały węgorz (Eng trans: “Where Is The White Eel”)

Comment from user: Released in 2017 by the Polish band Cypis. The song talks about tragic addiction to cocaine and other substances.

This is the better of the two Polish rap songs that I received. I like the video quite a bit. It has a French arthouse film feel to it and the topic is a bit heavy. But again, the genre in general just didn’t appeal to me.

5 Likes

10th place (3 points): Kino - Pack of Cigarettes

Comment from user: I actually had a different song here that I knew before researching, but found this gem while watching an awesome documentary about Soviet rock/post-punk scene of the early 80s.

Almost certainly a controversial rank for this band. Let me contextualize it a bit.

Anybody with even a scintilla of knowledge of Russian music knows Kino. I know almost nothing about Russian music and I’ve heard of them. During the 80s, rock music was viewed as dangerous western propaganda that could weaken the Soviet Union. Despite their best efforts, plenty of pirated music came from the west. Influenced by that, Kino was formed and became quite possibly the most influential rock band east of the Berlin Wall during the 1980s. Tragically, the death of Viktor Tsoi in 1990 ended Kino but their legacy lives on.

With all of that said, I feel that Kino was a product of its time. When rock was hard to find, Kino was what was available. The bands that exist in Russia today owe a ton to them but are also far superior to them in my opinion.

4 Likes

Before I go to 9th, congrats on those to avoided the nodium.

9th place (4 points): Grad - Gradsko Setaliste (Eng trans: City Promenade)

One would think a band whose name translates into City and has a song title with the same word (plus suffix) in it would create generic, boring music but that isn’t necessarily it. It has a kitschy 1980s appeal that almost puts me east of the Iron Curtain during that time. It feels as though it should be part of the Atomic Blonde movie soundtrack. Not sure if I’d put this on a playlist but it’s still kinda cool to listen to.

4 Likes

Liking the reveal so far. Foreign hip-hop is always tricky. It can work but there will always be something missing. Never heard of Kino afaik.

In related news: dodged the nodium for the first time.

4 Likes

Grad was me. Don’t mind the write up, though the 4 points is damaging.

2 Likes

8th place (5 points): IC3PEAK - Смерти Больше Нет (Eng trans: Death No More)

This was a true WTF song for me. The first 2/3 of the song is completely kickass. It’s weird as fuck but sounds really solid. Then the rest kinda dies out not unlike the band members in the music video. Really disappointing because it was sounding like potential podium material before then.

5 Likes

That’s mine. Ah well. My best showing yet!

5 Likes

It’s an interesting song but I agree with superuberbob that it’s kind of going nowhere.