Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

In 12th place with 1 point
Stars on 45 - Beatles Medley

This is 16 minutes of The Stars on 45 doing snippets of Beatles numbers in a continuous ‘medley’. I’ve not often chosen to listen to The Beatles and their work all smoothed out to the same drum beat didn’t make me want to revise that, but, you know, it’s still The Beatles. Those 4 cheeky scousers could write a tune and here you only get the bits anyone could recognise.

Something like this could have had a chance, perhaps shamefully I’ve often YouTubed 70s era James Last and his daft instrumental versions of hits, and I love proper jazz people doing pop songs. Here, though, it feels like no one really cared beyond having a cheap way to earn money in a copyright grey zone. The comments are full of people who loved this when they were small children, which seems about right. Apologies if I’m crushing some treasured memories.

2 Likes

Well this is one category i’m not going to listen to all the entries in.

4 Likes

I can’t remember, was it you or someone else who submitted something from Godspeed You Black Emperor to me in my walrus? Big mistake for me! This category definitely forced me to submit something that I’m guessing no one would’ve expected from me though.

1 Like

i think it was 6ix. i remember talking about the album title which is in hebrew but i ain’t clicking the play button

1 Like

I’m at this point and this is how I feel, Nelson Mandela was pretty good though.

Wow not familiar with indie darling Neutral Milk Hotel? I actually can’t name a song by them, if I’m being honest, but I do like this one. Can’t really understand it but the pacing and instrumentation are fun.

First place song is cool too. I don’t have much to say about this category, I know everyone is disappointed.

wow should’ve read the room, didn’t realize there was a reveal happening. Not listening to any of these most likely though.

1 Like

Yeah, it was 6ix. The track he submitted was the second song of two off the same album as that one. It’s their best work, though he picked the wrong one, obviously.

1 Like

Ha ha ha - that is the entry of an evil genius. I’m horribly worried that if I listen to it I will like it more than the original

like picking between chlamydia and syphilis. you know one is better but it’s hard to remember which.

I’d say listen away as you definitely won’t. But then, why would that make you listen!

I really thought I’d get last here, so I guess every place from here on out is gravy

1 Like

Hi, I’m an evil genius.

2 Likes

Obviously I’m not posting the next track until you’ve all listened to the previous one…

1 Like

Oh, its gonna be one of THOSE reveals

1 Like

Alright I’m at work and it’s slow, maybe I can take the plunge for the good of walrus…

1 Like

good time to pop in with a surprise reveal

2 Likes

Guess you can used 2x speed if you like, I usually did.

In 11th place with 2 points
TOOL - Fear Inoculum

I’m tempted to say this is unlucky to be here. If I was judging by ‘quality’ then it could absolutely be higher, but it just never clicked with me at all and I order by how excited I am when the playlist god gives each tune the nod.

It seems to meander along on a contemporary rock/light metal background rather pleasantly for most of its run. In my head Tool were more prog-y than this, but I’m not certain I’ve listened to them before and wikipedia suggests this is probably fairly representative. Like most metallers they can certainly play their instruments and the track is put together nicely, shifting through several sections without seeming to run out of ideas. It just isn’t my thing, I wanted it to be faster or louder or more complicated, but there’s no reason for that except to pander to my tastes. Sadly for Tool (and the submitter) that’s Walrus.

4 Likes

rip seities

1 Like

not clicking that one either

1 Like

I’m 100% next

1 Like

I’m still listening to the Godspeed track.

2 Likes