US Kills Soleimani in Airstrike

Gotta hand it to FoxNews, they know what the people want:

fox_sulimani

Any chance the thread title changes to “The US didn’t kill Shalil” (whatever his name is)

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Much more tragic.

1 Like

His name was Robert Paulsen. His name was Robert Paulsen…

hey I’ve been like extremely not around the last few weeks, can someone explain badges

1 Like

Apparently a ton of the protesters are calling for the Ayatollah to step down. If Trump stumbles his way into bringing the regime down I think we’re fucked in 2020.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/protests-erupt-in-iran-after-military-admits-downing-ukrainian-passenger-jet-death-to-the-dictator/ar-BBYRlhI?ocid=ARWLCHR

2 Likes

I doubt he’ll step down, and I doubt anything good will follow along if Iran manages some sort of revolution, but you have to be impressed by people willing to get out on the streets and protest against the regime there. I hope I never have to make a decision about something like that.

Here’s a terrible machine translation of something student protestors in Iran put out today:

Statement by student protesters at a protest rally today at Tehran’s Amir Kabir University (Polytechnic) protesting the crash of a passenger plane by an air defense missile

These days Iran is mired in mourning and mourning. We wash the blood with blood; we suffer suffering and we wash the martyr with the martyr. It is as if history is compressed; crisis follows crisis and threat responds to threat. We do not consider our children as separate from the people of Iran. Their pain is ours, and the hot heat on our breasts is also heavy. Zenahar, which culminated in the disaster on Wednesday morning, and just one day after dozens of compatriots were killed in Kerman, Iran again watched its children fly. We had not yet had the opportunity to mourn the bodies of the martyrs of Aban, where the mourning was over.

Today, “evil” surrounds us from every boundary. While economic policies and political repression have put people’s lives on the line, the shadow of war has also fallen on us. Amidst the constant rallying cry for military power lost in these days of Iranian political space is the voice of the people, the people who most and foremost demand freedom and equality and who have best heard it in November. The events of the last two months were a complete manifestation of the inefficiency of the Iranian ruling system. A system whose only response to any crisis is repression. It is up to us today to point out the totality of repression, whether in the form of repressive government or imperialist power. In recent years, America’s presence in the Middle East has had nothing but the proliferation of chaos. Our task with this transgressive power is clear in advance, but we are well aware that the American adventure in the region should not become an excuse to justify domestic repression. If these days, “national security” has become the linguistic hub of everyone, it’s time to ask what security, which groups, classes, and social groups are meant. We have no fear of crying out for the safety of the poor, deprived and deprived Iranians for many years. The economic policies of the past thirty years have left a mountain of despots alongside a rent-seeking, corrupt class. The situation then becomes complicated, even outside the borders, with the financial and media power of the masters of power, the corrupt opposition and the whole dependency. Yes, we are surrounded by evil today.

people of Iran:

The only way out of the current crisis is to return to popular politics. A policy that does not justify arrogance for fear of tyranny and also in the name of fighting against imperialism and resistance will not legitimize tyranny. Yes, the way out of the current situation is the simultaneous rejection of tyranny and arrogance. A policy that demands security, liberty and equality not only for a particular group and class but also as an indispensable right of all people. The necessity of social democracy today has become clear to all. In this democracy, the government is not oblivious to the situation of the people and demands security, freedom and equality for all.

We, the children of Iran, extend our condolences to all the people of our country on the testimony of hundreds of our compatriots in the events of Kerman and the plane crash and promise not to let the blood of these loved ones trample. Yes, no innocent blood will fall out of history. Join with power

https://twitter.com/nargesbajoghli/status/1216120088668979200

2 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

America did shoot down an Iranian passengers jet and refused to apologize. Nobody in America cared.

2 Likes

They more than didn’t care. No subscription, so I can’t read this. Seems like it called for a parade or something.

1 Like

I don’t really hate that the soldiers, the pawns, are let off the hook a little. I’m sure they were generally horrified and scarred. These things are the fault of the masters of war.

1 Like

By this logic you really aren’t allowed to discuss any details about the people on the plane.

I think if America shot down a passenger jet with a bunch of Americans in it on American soil, people would care.

I don’t think the protests will amount to anything.

Let me tell you about a little thing called Flight 93…

j/k obviously

I’ll just leave this here.

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s a reason most people join the military when they are 17 or 18 and essentially children and a few of the “adults” join when they’re like 21. We basically consider it one of the most heinous acts to allow 14 year olds to be in your army, but we heavily recruit 17 year olds.

5 Likes

^Now, it’s worth noting that student loan debt is likely a significant driver for the middle demos, meaning it still involves a considerable amount of, effectively, economic coercion. But while it’s a popular leftie talking point, it’s really not true that ‘the poor’ do most of the fighting in America’s wars. Make of that what you will.

1 Like

Our society deeply fetishizes the military and heaps mountains of unearned praise on anybody who serves, no matter how trivial their contributions. That’s going to be very attractive to a lot of young people.

6 Likes

Also, the vast, vast majority of people who join the military never get anywhere near a combat situation. It’s actually a pretty smart career move for most people with very little risk.