Unstuck’s Playlist A-Z

I have at least one of these (or maybe a cover of it) I was planning to post, but I’ll see if you do it first.

In the meantime:

1 Like

With english lyrics

1 Like

A favorite 80s tune from a band that broke up almost immediately after they broke through.

1 Like

Solid throwback! A song I had definitely forgotten about in recent years. Makes me wonder what other songs have been lost down the memory hole.

1 Like

Actually, while we’re on D, I was reminded of another long forgotten song.

1 Like

I’ve definitely got at least one Unicorns song planned for later in the alphabet.

For now:

Today’s entry in 2000s remixes I like better than the original.

Let’s go back to California. LA, specifically, and the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo, helmed by the always incredible Danny Elfman (yeah, that Danny Elfman). You all know this song. Leave your body at the door, please.

1 Like

D is for Denn alles Fleisch ist wie Gras, which is the 2nd movement of the Brahms Requiem.

real talk, I’ve only listened to the whole movement a handful of times BUT I’ve listened to the first three minutes of it approximately nine jilliony zillion.

And Ive never understood why it hasn’t been used well in a movie—in my mind’s eye some dude is sneaking through a kind of eerie cramped cave system, and the tension is building and building, and then at the three-minute mark he wide-eyed stumbles into a kind of secret subterranean ampitheater horrorshow and it’s like Mola Ram meets Eyes Wide Shut meets Interview With a Vampire meets hopefully not the dude in shown in the video at 1:17, who is just not here for this. Honestly that whole leftward camera pan is just a glum, half-price buffet at Sizzler situation

Denn alles Fleisch ist wie Gras is german for “all flesh—yes including your ass—is grass.” The text they are singing is “all flesh is grass, all earthly glory is a flower, it withers and falls, so hang in there you dumb blob of meat because the Lord is rad and he is coming, pun not intended, but ok that too, if such an unholy image helpeth you to be patient”

my favorite recorded version (klemperer conducting the London-based Philharmonia Orch)
live version with the sad basses
–turn it up baby!

5 Likes

One of my favorites from the 2000s

1 Like

Rick Scott!

This thread died surprisingly quickly tonight. Let’s try to inject a little life into it.

On to the Es I believe.

Eighties from the Night Time album by Killing Joke.

Eighties_12'_1984 Killing_Joke_night_time

Fantastic! and it’s got the whole Come As You Are (Nirvana) - Eighties (Killing Joke) - Life Goes On (The Damned) - thing going on as well.

A friend who sessioned/played for The Damned at the time mentioned over beers a few years ago, when this subject came up, that that was his riff - I have no reason to disbelieve him.

2 Likes

I actually missed posting one of my favorite Stars songs already so figured I should make up for it here.

My favorite Stars songs are a ways away.

Let’s start with another indie great. Getting a lyric sheet will definitely help with this one.

The Ds I ran out of time for

Day After Day - Badfinger
Departure - R.E.M.
Dial Up - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Daisy Glaze - Big Star
Death Letter - orig. by Son House
Dream Baby Dream - Suicide

Shit, somehow I let C go without “Clampdown,” too.

2 Likes

Literally the only E song in my 2020 top 100.

1 Like