Ukrainian Derail

My fucks have been at a critically low supply for some time, and I’m not wasting one on a Russian invader. Maybe we need a fucks wealth transfer

I’m not asking anyone to cry about Russian soldiers. I’m not crying about them. I’m not being a ghoul though. It’s a lot like the people dying from covid thread…where you were right!

2 Likes

While I’m not a big fan of Arendt, that’s not what she said.

Can you be specific with what exactly what video post you’re referencing? Because I’m like 97% sure you’re talking about a post that I use to talk about the horrors of drones in combat, and the rest is your imagination.

Holy fuck, coming on to over 200 new posts my first thought was that Russia dropped a nuke.

1 Like

Sigh. Why is this so hard? I don’t know how you can think I was talking about drones or how anything in that post could be something you think was part of my imagination. I said “people dying from covid thread”. How do you get from there to “horrors of drones in combat”?

Do I have to dissect this?

“I’m not asking anyone to cry about Russian soldiers”. Is that clear? Is it my imagination? Is it about drones?

“I’m not crying about them.” Same three questions.

“I’m not being a ghoul though.” Yeah, I’m suggesting that some people here are being ghoulish. In this post I’m most directly talking about simplicitus.

“It’s a lot like the people dying from covid thread”. This is probably what you think is about drones or is my imagination. Jeez I have to search for posts now???

They actually did an extraction so that you were the OP of this thread

So when I was talking about you being right, I was talking about this. When I said this was like the people dying from covid thread I meant it was LIKE it in that people were being ghoulish and you were right in calling that out.

Did you get this far?

Totally unfair of me remembering stuff from a year ago that makes you look good.

In case anyone was wondering, the answer is no, and there’s good reason why.

This is good because Yuv is on my team (well, I’m on his anyway).

CN is right! Yuv is wrong!

@goofyballer, look, I’m losing points!

who called you a collaborator? i’ll fight them

1 Like

I didn’t reference a video in that post.

Because I have no idea wtf you’re talking about. eta: because I didn’t reference a video in the post you replied to.

Like even after I explained that it was the people dying from covid thread (after having originally said that) you still think I was talking about a drone video? How far into a sentence can you read?

Do not shame proud non-readers.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about what I think has been ghoulish in this thread, it’s a lot more than one video. For one it’s the whole Orcs thing. For another it’s simplicitus and his let them die stuff. It’s the constant glee about war. The stuff that drove off Lapka, who wasn’t against Ukraine defending itself, but thought people were being armchair ghouls about something she had seen up close or at least was close to her family.

If you’re talking about the one video, well, if I post it, you’re just going to be like “That, you’re making a big deal about that! No one talked about that.” and that will you be you being dumb and not understanding what an example is. But this is the video. It was posted here, but I don’t remember when.

Unchanged

Geez. I know your post was not responsive to the post you were responding to. I didn’t reference a video. I’m obligated to spend time figuring out where the fuck you are misunderstanding things and try to answer any possible question that you might have had and your answer is “Unchanged”???

Is this that Sea Lioning thing? Is this that Sartre quote thing?

Or are you just describing yourself? Is this what people were talking about when they said “Semant****ing”?

2 Likes

It was posted here.

I don’t think microbet is doing a great job of arguing his case here, and he can tell me if I’m putting words in his mouth here, but I think the underlying point is that this whole project of “let’s figure out who the Bad People are who need to be Held Accountable” is a project of dehumanizing people so that you can feel better about your own negative emotions towards them. Being able to look at someone dying of COVID for example and be like “lol sucked in, fucked around and found out” depends on your ability to rationalize their death as being deserved because of their choices. If you can’t make this rationalization then you will be forced to confront the fact that you’re just being a sadistic asshole.

The way in which moral desert is assigned aligns SUSPICIOUSLY WELL with which groups of people one has already decided one wants to dehumanize. So people ITT feel loathing and disgust towards the Russian Army, which is fair enough. But the level of like “oh well conscripts should have shot their commanding officer and left Russia and if they don’t it means they’ve Made A Choice” is getting a bit over the top, and the reason for this is that if you believe that, you get to be secretly excited by videos of soldiers getting killed without feeling like a sadist. (This is all very much distinct from hoping that the Russian army is defeated in Ukraine, which if a peaceful end is impossible is what I assume we all think is the preferable end).

If you look at what jman is actually demanding of microbet in that whole STANNING FOR NAZIS part of the thread, it’s nothing about what should actually have happened to Germans (which is what the “should they have gone to prison” question makes clear). It just purely seems to be that jman wants microbet to agree that Nazi soldiers had moral responsibility (in this They Made A Choice sense). But I think (and I think I’m speaking for microbet here too) that this virtually always leads to less moral clarity, not more. The point of avoiding taking this point of view is not some kind of hippie refusal to punish people for crimes, it’s that when you punish people for crimes you do it to achieve a deterrent effect. The point of not doing it is that this “let’s assign moral responsibllity” game is, as I said, just a means to take your own negative emotions and launder them, just be like “it’s good to feel this way, actually, because this is what justice is”.

Not sure I’ve done a great job of explaining this, but fuck it, click Reply.

7 Likes

he gave a reference now and it was very hard to understand what you are seeking reference on when quoting unrelated posts. either ignore him or discuss it.