Ukraine War: Discussion

Please hold for moved posts.

1 Like

First!

1 Like

Putin announced reprisals. Dictators are particularly viscious when they think their own survival is at stake.

Come on, man. Are they going after electrical infrastrusture buried in playgrounds and housed in apartments? What do you think the purpose of day 1 attacks on electricity are?

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1579512924066177025?t=nnvUaHAniCyZ-Rt-CgnZTQ&s=19

1 Like

Iā€™m not a military guy but better reasons to knock out electricity at the start of a war, especially if you hope to win quickly, might include: psychological (ā€œshock and aweā€), to disrupt command and control, and to make logistics more difficult. Itā€™s not primarily to terrorize the general populace or make their lives more difficult.

Todayā€™s attacks come seven months into a war Putin is losing. Heā€™s hitting places hundreds of miles from where fighting is going on. Heā€™s doing it immediately after an event that personally embarrassed him. Electrical or not, heā€™s going after targets that arenā€™t going to gain him a military advantage to generate fear and misery and satisfy his own and his supporterā€™s desire for revenge. Iā€™m sure as hell not going to take Putinā€™s word on targeting priorities when heā€™s bombed churches, schools, apartment buildings, and shelters from one end of Ukraine to the other.

4 Likes

and Syria and Chechnya. Itā€™s almost like thereā€™s a pattern here.

2 Likes

Yeah! Whatā€™s so hard to understand about illegitimate wars having legitimate targets? OTOH, I see an opportunity to justify a bunch of shitty things I did when I was a stupid sociopathic pre-teen.

Maybe thereā€™s something in the AM thread or something but this seems unprovoked and pretty unchill.

Yeah, 6 months of Putin apologia is pretty unchill; read what heā€™s saying in his last few posts and if youā€™re not repulsed to the point of saying ā€˜fuck offā€™, I canā€™t help you out.

1 Like

Except that Russia is engaged in an illegal war of aggression and Ukraine is not, and while kudos to you for admitting this, that is highly relevant to the analysis.

1 Like

Keedā€™s idiotic trolling is easier to ignore if you just replace the word Putin in your mind with Hitler. Theyā€™re basically equal on the evil scale.

2 Likes

Because there are no ā€œlegitimate targetsā€ when you are conducting an illegal war of aggression. Itā€™s an illegal war of aggression!

1 Like

Bombing a kindergarten is obviously far worse? Beating the shit out of someone in a bar fight and murdering your wife in cold blood are both illegal, but one is worse than the other.

Edit: This conversation should probably be moved to the Ukrapto thread though.

2 Likes

Actually, under the Geneva Conventions, Iā€™m pretty sure it is.

It was a difficult decision but after much thought and an enormous quantity of soul searching I arrived at the conclusion that a predawn raid on a bridge over which countless munitions and troops had come to invade my country was more legitimate than targeting multiple city centre installations at rush hour in a country Iā€™ve illegally invaded.

Touch and go, but I did get there in the end.

7 Likes

Outrageous to compare Putin to Hitler and also Iā€™m against arming Ukranians to prevent their own genocide because Putin might respond by ending humanity in a nuclear Holocaust.

I am very smart!

1 Like

This should be excised to the other thread, but this is totally out to lunch. The Geneva Conventions donā€™t even address the idea of aggressive war, which is prohibited elsewhere in international law. They are solely concerned with the conduct of war. Do you really think international law should hold soldiers criminally liable for war crimes for conducting legitimate military operations because they failed to figure out that the rationale for war they were given by their government was bullshit? Like just execute every single Iraq War soldier for war crimes? Wat.

3 Likes