Ukraine, Russia, and the West

zara Russia is literally already occupying Ukraine. They’ve put 100k+ troops to invade and occupy more. That’s an absurd analogy.

Dimitri is standing over has wife, fist raised, a look of blind rage on his face. But he hasn’t punched her yet!

1 Like

He’s the richest man who has ever lived if you listen to some.He doesn’t want a real war and won’t start a real war. He knows it and our government knows it. The other oligarchs hate him and fear him and would love it if we offed him. I was talking to a couple of russians last week in Hanoi and they were just laughing at the whole idea of a real war. They said the next guy after Putin could be Krasnov or Medinsky and they would be no trouble at all to keep in line if Putin wasnt pulling their strings.
Some of the takes in this thread are based on an hour of google and nothing else.

The funny thing is they did already do it.

And it’s not about what Russia is keen to do in general, but what Putin feels is personally in his best interests at a particular moment in time.

1 Like

saying “if putin wanted to invade, he would have already done it,” even as putin is posturing to invade, is a very severe case of putin brain.

1 Like

Nope, you are still wrong even being super literal. He can obviously want to invade and prefer to wait for any number of reasons… for example Xi Jinping could have said we will be more supportive if you wait until after we finish hosting the Olympics.

2 Likes

obviously for putin the ultimate goal is half of europe. it’s only collective resistance and time that’s going to stop him.

why is it insulting to you to point out that putin amassed troops on the border because he wants to demonstrate that he wants invade and he is throwing ultimatums about pushing nato back to 1989?

Zara - NATO poises no threat to Russia, and you’re effectively repeating Russian propaganda when you talk about NATO’s role in this crisis. If anything, Russia’s behavior shows that a stronger NATO is needed to dissuade power hungry dictators from grabbing smaller states that they’ve literally committed a genocide in.

1 Like

И ежу понятно

This piece is awful.

“Russia invading Ukraine is bad but there’s anti-transgender legislation in some US states therefore something something I don’t even have a point”

Nothing more than Tankie-ism with an IQ over 70.

1 Like

The piece is for antifascists so if you’re not one you may not have understood the point. Russia is unilaterally bad and nothing else is allowed to be addressed especially in the context of US foreign policy adventures is the 70 IQ take.

The piece that he said was awful agrees with that.

1 Like

Do you think an invasion is likely or unlikely? Give a percentage.

1 Like
  1. Why does he want NATO to go away?

2. What do you think the purpose of NATO is?

Him invading Ukraine will strengthen NATO not weaken it.

Re the question of pretext. There are various versions of Aesop’s fable of The Wolf and the Lamb. E.G.

Wolf, meeting with a Lamb astray from the fold, resolved not to lay violent hands on him, but to find some plea to justify to the Lamb the Wolf’s right to eat him. He thus addressed him: “Sir, last year you grossly insulted me.” “Indeed,” bleated the Lamb in a mournful tone of voice, “I was not then born.” Then said the Wolf, “You feed in my pasture.” “No, good sir,” replied the Lamb, “I have not yet tasted grass.” Again said the Wolf, “You drink of my well.” “No,” exclaimed the Lamb, “I never yet drank water, for as yet my mother’s milk is both food and drink to me.” Upon which the Wolf seized him and ate him up, saying, “Well! I won’t remain supperless, even though you refute every one of my imputations.”

Moral

The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.

I.E. Tyrants gonna tyrant.

1 Like

NBC News

U.S. intel shows Russian military officials given order to proceed with invasion of Ukraine
“As of this moment, I’m convinced he’s made the decision. We have reason to believe that,” President Joe Biden said Friday, citing U.S. intelligence.

Говорят, что кур доят

You first?

1 Like

They could avoid invading by, you know, not amassing 100K+ troops on the border. It’s not like Ukraine was about to invade Russia.

1 Like