Ukraine, Russia, and the West

Well I’m at a loss at what your point is then, apologies for the misunderstanding. My point is that Russia can be contained, but it will require force of some kind, at least severe meaningful threats.

The lesson is definitely don’t give up the nukes and don’t tie yourself to the US.

It is a bad situation, I’m hard pressed to even take a stand because every approach seems
to suck.

Same. Except for the smart sources part.

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1492568238110040068?t=CEJprWKTul1ANBKb_CmWbw&s=19

2 Likes

Maybe if the west abandons them Ukraine could buy a nuke from North Korea

Apparently most/all of their stockpile they gave up couldn’t hit most of Russia anyway, it could only hit Siberia. According to Wikipedia, so grain of salt I suppose.

Russia hasn’t particularly masterful in any war that I’m aware of since the 1800s. They just have a lot of people who are in isolated areas and are willing to let them die. Worked against Napoleon and Hitler. Almost worked in ww1 but the populace got ornery. They got worked by Japan in their little war.

2 Likes

There was an On The Media interview a few years back where a Russian journalist said this understanding is really misguided, and that Putin is mainly reactive and often blunders around. Not sure why the USA has the idea he’s some sort of strategy genius.

you are just noticing pro-russian bias.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofTanks/comments/127vyk/is_russian_bias_a_real_thing/

1 Like

War Eagle Money Printers looking at these two girls to ask to prom and only one has all of the coveted chips.

The United States should use a Realpolitik approach to figuring out what to do in Ukraine
  • Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Slightly agree
  • Neither agree nor disagree
  • Slightly disagree
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree

0 voters

Americans love the Big Tough Man theory of history.

1 Like

These guys were the Russian army’s most masterful force.

3 Likes

Has anyone read any good analysis of what chance, if any, Ukraine has against Russia? On paper, obviously doesn’t look great, but wondering what kind of long shot odds Ukraine has. Possible X factors:

• I don’t think Russia has any modern experience with big armored invasions. Lots of beat downs, but no major operations against big targets.
  • Cheap suicide drones have unknown, but maybe large, potential to mess with logistics and other soft targets.
  • Possibility that US conducts cyber operations against Russian targets?

hybrid warfare is quite messed up nowadays. imho, making advances without an overwhelming force is practically impossible without it becoming a major slog and eventually a standoff like donbass, although overwhelming factor can be something like an un-jammable make of drone (azerbajan ‘21), or cutting off communications between military units (georgia ‘08, ukraine ‘14). that’s why i think any plan occupying odessa is likely way unrealistic. logistically it would require russian navy to deploy and supply onto beaches, and hold long stretches of land. warfare ops like that haven’t been seen in quite awhile.

i think it’s realistic that ukrainian army would stop a major advance onto Kiyv, with russia perhaps occupying Kharkiv. it may in the end result officially basing troops in donbass, which would be touted as a putin victory, although its military value is dubious.

2 Likes

I think you are from Russia, so you may be more familiar with the area, but Kiev is like 60 miles from the Belarussion border. If you take the motorway on the easter side of the Dnepr it is more like a 120, but that still seems pretty hard to defend if the Russian Army starts to move.

Also isn`t most of Ukraine pretty flat. Seems like ideal terrain for an army of tanks and hard to defend, especially with the air superiority Russia seems very likely to have.

As long as conditions are dry, anyway.

As long as temperatures are high enough, couldn’t Ukraine just fly some of those fire fighting planes over this area and saturate the land to make it virtually impossible for tanks to get through?

I am sure it’s a massive area, but it also seems like they could get some help from allies in this endeavor, and prioritize the pathways that they would have the toughest time defending.

1 Like

No. You’re talking about way more water than could ever be delivered by air and there is already plenty of water in the dirt, the problem is it’s frozen.

The traditional ways to alter terrain to your advantage is to blow up bridges and dig anti tank ditches, but I don’t know whether the Ukrainians are motivated and organized enough to do that. There aren’t any large rivers east of Kiev anyway.

They do not even have to come from the East. Belarus borders Ukraine all the way to Poland in the west.

Any idea how many planes they have?