Ukraine LC Debates, Arguments and Terrible Memes

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1509554416386547713

Ukrainians want Russians to surrender en masse. So it behooves them to treat POWs very well.

Yeah, thatā€™s important.

focused on the important stuff as always

I donā€™t lie to myself about what I want.

2 Likes

12 Likes

This.

There are some people who donā€™t ā€œdeserveā€ due process (e.g. child killers), but I wouldnā€™t dream of depriving them of it. I guess itā€™s about being a civilised society and putting people on trial instead of taking vengeance in other ways. Similar to how the Jews put Eichmann on trial instead of just torturing him for days etc.

As for the soldiers, well, thatā€™s just about common decency. If you donā€™t understand that stealing, raping, torturing and executing people is wrong, youā€™re fucking accountable. You donā€™t need a degree in fucking humanitarian studies to know that shit. Put it this way, if I were a soldier, and I caught my best friend in the world raping someone, Iā€™d probably put a gun to his head and tell him to stop, and I might be tempted to pull the trigger too. Youā€™re accountable for the actions of your peers if you know what they are doing and say nothing.

The reason I personally have chosen this war is probably that it coincides with my now being old enough to take much larger interest in whatā€™s going on in the world than I did in the past, and this particular war involving my ā€œmotherlandā€ as the ā€œJames-bond villain-ishā€ bad guys. I canā€™t speak for others.

3 Likes

those soldiers were no angels viktor

for someone who has repeatedly advocated for violent revolution you sure got your knickers in a bunch over people getting mad at invaders of their homeland.

Imagine not having victor on ignore in 2022.

2 Likes

I generally support the efforts to equip the Ukrainians so that they can defend themselves against Russia, but Iā€™ve gotta say all the giddy reporting about all the latest and greatest slaughter toys that the military industrial complex is pumping out is rather sickening.

6 Likes

Thereā€™s a difference between talking about aid being given and pumping out tweet after tweet detailing all the ā€œawesomeā€ capabilities of the latest military tech.

5 Likes

Oh fuck off.

EDIT: Arenā€™t you the guy who went on a COVID-spreading bender across south Florida? Not sure youā€™re well positioned to call other people sickening.

1 Like

No u.

Yawn

I second the idea that itā€™s insanely crass to tout the awesome military capabilities of a country that has lied its way into war after war after war. Say a prayer for the people affected and save the fetishism.

Surf: (Assuming itā€™s not used against civilians obviously)

My adult life has been partially defined by the leaders of my country using these sick weapons on civilians. Whenever a weapon like this is created, it is a mortal lock that the United States will use it on innocents. We need more people opposing the fetishism of death-dealing devices

5 Likes

I dunno guys, seems unlikely that Ukrainians are going to be bombing Ukrainian civilians with their new precision drone. Probably going to attack Russian trucks.

It also seems unlikely that this weapon is ever used by the U.S. If you read the tweets, youā€™ll see that it was a rush job built to Ukrainian specs, so the MIC will probably want to make sure that the US military adopts something much more expensive and less effective.

Also @moderators, itā€™s going to be so much easier for you to just excise this to the LC thread now rather than wait until thereā€™s 100 posts of it to move.

2 Likes

The locals donā€™t obey the stop signs. But they can at least get the Brits, Aussies, Americansā€¦. To actually stop

Itā€™s not great, but technology is ever improving and if itā€™s not the USA, someone else will find ways to use the increased in technology for death/destruction. Itā€™s a foregone conclusion.