Trump's America

This kind of thinking seems like it would throw up serious barriers for kids who came from less than ideal high schools.

1 Like

So what.

A degree granted from Uni after a year or two of CC looks, smells and acts the same as a four year degree. Without burying you with extra tuition for the first two years - or tuition at all if you can’t cut the coursework.

Which some people can’t, for whatever reason. Putting someone in a position that guarantees failure isn’t doing them a favor, although it probably makes some people feel better about the “opportunities” they’re granting some kids (and of course, the Uni’s will cash them checks and who gives a fuck about the kids). It’s WAY too easy to get into a university - that was OK when flunking out didn’t crush you financially for the rest of your life. This ain’t France, and this shit ain’t free.

MM MD

1 Like

You are right - but I think most colleges already address this by putting economically challenged students farther up the queue and making sure they have access to plenty of resources once they get there. I know for a fact they do this because a lot of stuff was offered to me I never used and I was a low income student on full ride.

What college absolutely shouldn’t be doing is subsidizing the shitty lower education. If that means fewer people going to a 4 year straight out of highschool then so be it. That’s what CC should be for (which should be free).

A big thing I loved about hill dawgs education plan, a major aspect was to make CC free for everyone to tackle this issue. That is where the resources are best spent. The rising cost of college tuition is tied in large part to there being way too many fucking people in 4 year colleges. I’ve met some colossal dunces at even a top-tier school and it’s incredible to me. They absolutely shouldnt be there.

Sorry this probably should be its own thread but this is a big topic for me. I went to a CC into a good 4 year. It still cost a lot of money and the CC part was pure, unadulterated hell. CC’s are so completely underfunded, the resources are not there, and most students become trapped in an endless bog of administration bullshit and class non-availability. I knew a guy that had to wait an entire year to get into a course he needed to transfer. Most students are going to 2-3 schools just to get their class requirements (and they are the LUCKY ones!) There are worse tales out there. And there is basically NO aid given to students, even needy ones.

And EVERYONE at CC is trying their ass off. When I got to the 4 year I was blown away at what I was given. A full fucking stipend, living expenses, tons of tutors/counselors, even medical insurance. These are things i needed when I was in community college! And to top it off, most of the students didn’t even seem like they wanted to be there. It’s just complete, total waste. Like it’s so ass backwards it can send me on a 2500 word rant. So I apologize but it is a topic near and dear to my heart.

Fun story. The first and only time I went to visit a curriculum counselor at my CC (which was a top tier community college, as far as they go) he set up my schedule for me. I quickly looked at it and realized, hey dude I work this day, this day, this day, and this day at those times. He looked a little puzzled and asked if I worked full time. “Yes, of course, I have a place and a car payment.”

He looked at me seriously right in the face and told me, “This isn’t for you. You won’t be able to make this work.”

Like honestly that was his advice. I walked out and told him he was wrong. He was but I honestly had to do a lot of crazy shit to make it work and I think the stress of it all broke my mind a little bit. I can’t imagine how anyone could seriously get through that system that isn’t crazy gifted.

My daughter has been bouncing around a bit. She started at a very small private school (which cancelled both majors she was interested in) and has gone to 2 CCs since, looking to xfer to UC and she has had a fair amount of trouble getting classes and counselors seem to tell her something different every time she talks to one.

She’s not the best at bureaucratic stuff (neither am I) and I’m afraid she’s going to end up taking some of the wrong classes and getting too many credits to do the junior xfer.

She seemed to have some very good instructors at Berkeley City College though.

I did the CC thing too. I was fortunate enough to be coasting off the remains of my poker roll and I got a bit lucky with trading… but it was still hilariously rough.

EDIT: Some of you might actually know me. I got ALOT lucky with the trading lol.

2 Likes

I spent 5 years at a state school back when it was cheap - got out with a degree in physics, minor in creative writing - owing $10k.

But 99% of my career is based on 3 programming classes at SF City college for $13/credit hour.

Oh yea. The bureaucratic stuff is insane. My fucking favorite was having to stand in line for several hours every single quarter because they had somehow fucked up what little financial aid I was supposed to receive, which didn’t even pay for books. Jump through 47 hoops to get it.

In the 4 year? I didn’t touch one bureaucratic thing other than my graduation filing, which took literally 5 minutes.

Also dont worry about too many credits - I took about 30 too many and they just pick the ones you need and throw out the rest. Just a waste of time at worst.

instead of worthless counselors I’d recommend just going to the UC schools website and looking up transfer requirements. They probably have a catalogue at your CC about what classes transfer to which schools. I just relied on this and what the UC site told me. However, the UC matriculation stuff is heavily prone to change so you gotta accept some risk there. I got fucked over a few times.

That is reassuring. She would be pretty dejected if she had to go through all this, meet all the requirements and get told no.

I’m trying to get her to stress less about being too old. She thinks xferring in at 20 is bad.

Lol i’m probably more of a cautionary tale but I transferred in at 27 and am now ahead of most of my peers of the same age. That’s like the least thing to worry about.

Yeah, I agree with this - part of the problem (for me at the time and I suspect a lot of kids) is that they don’t know what they don’t know/need/could benefit from - doesn’t matter what resources are there if you don’t use them. I went to UCLA my first time thru and we had about a 15 minute orientation which was a rah-rah session.

UNR now spends an entire day (maybe more) in orientation and involves the parents, if they’re available - which seems like a solid idea.

MM MD

He got fired today.

Ran into some Proud Boys who rented out a local venue(swingers club) for a private party before it opened up for normal hours. Sigh. The naturally had no fucking clue how to act. Didn’t see a single one get action. Also politics is the last thing needed at those places.

2 Likes

Alexa how do i find swinger parties

1 Like

Clovis will be defending Proud Boys with regard to their sexual proclivities in 3… 2… 1…

WRT bolded, these degrees actually have a lot of utility if you know you’re going to medical or law school AND you know you can crush it. Which is a very small subset.

Basically the recipe for those professional schools is just crush undergrad (actual degree not that important) and crush standardized test, and you’re good. To make the first part easier, it helps to pick something you actually like. So, if that’s history, then that’s fine.

This strategy only really applies to a small subset of people. So I think your view is probably correct for most.

Wait, what? Were they there with other swingers?

1 Like

They rented out the venue. Then they were there when it opened. They were all hammered. Many left, many stayed to attempt to enjoy the festivities. They had had some sort of bbq, there was a boxing ring set up. They were all wearing matching shirts. I was struggling to see what they were doing there. But imagine like 50+ white single dudes, in a venue where while single males can attend, are not the attraction, talking politics.

2 Likes

the United States may, next month, lose its World Health Organization designation as a country that has eliminated measles, because of outbreaks this year. The W.H.O. has listed vaccine hesitancy as one of the top threats to global health.

Yeah - a LARGE percentage of doctors kids have less than no interest in being doctors. They like the perks of being a doctors kid, though.

Law school is a little different than med school though. Most med schools require a fair amount of hard science courses for application, and you’d have to be Wiley Coyote Super Genius to do well on the MCAT without that stuff. Interestingly, the REALLY top med schools have the most minimal requirements - when I was applying Harvard only demanded one year of biology and that was it for designated classes - AFAIK you could have a degree in Sanskrit for all I know - but for most you need at a minimum two of biology, two of chemistry with one being organic, a year of biochem and a year of calculus - and since there’s a physics section on the MCAT, you’re probably going to need physics. So you’re going to squeeze a lot of sciences in as electives, which is of course doable. I mean, I really enjoyed my English lit and Poli sci classes, but I needed the other stuff.

Or you can have your grandfather donate a building, I suppose.

MM MD