Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Doner kebob is cooked on a vertical spit. Other types of kebab are usually grilled horizontally.

I think fast food kebob is likely to be doner kebob because it is slice and go.

1 Like

Shawarma is different, imo. It’s minor, but I am a connoisseur of meats wrapped in bread.

That is a kabob too, but what I was referring to is similar to doner kebab (which is also sliced and cooked on a vertical spit)

As suzzer suggests, it’s very similar to shawarma but not exactly the same.

Edit: I see NBZ beat me to it.

Renting a car is never a bad idea in Europe, where usually there are a lot of little stops along the way that are easy in a car and complicated by train.

Not sure where the route takes you, but Annecy is pretty picturesque.

Also, near Lyon there is a little medieval town called Perouges which is cool.

I lived in Lyon for 1.5 years, but not since 2017. Most of the stuff you’ll want to do is pretty straightforward.

The most interesting areas to walk are the Old Town (get an ice cream at Glacier Terre Adelice) and the Peninsula (from Hotel de Ville down to Bellecour). Definitely visit Fourviere Basilica, and nearby is my favorite view in Lyon, which remains criminally underutilized, is called Jardin des Curiosites. Very unique perspective of the city.

Visit a bouchon or 5. If the menu has more than a handful of options, then it’s probably a crap bouchon that caters to tourists. Restaurant Paul Bocuse is another must.

Take advantage of the pedestrian bridges (Passerrelle du College and Passerrelle du Palais de Justice). Also, on the right side of the Rhone is very nice to walk, and if the temps are warm, there are several boats docked semi-permanently (called Peniche) that have little night clubs in the boat and then seating alongside the shoreline. Very cool place to grab a drink or dance inside.

Beyond that, a general outline of the main arrondissements:

1st and 2nd: Peninsula area w/City Hall, Opera, Bellecour (main plaza), a couple cool smaller plaza (Jacobins and Celestins (with nice old theatre)), and can look Parisien with the architecture in this area

5th: Old Town, really unique look, and lots of bouchons, but some can be touristy.

4th: The more Bohemian area, where traditionally, silk workers lived (called canuts), it’s a big hill with nice views overlooking the city. There’s an old Roman amphitheatre that is kinda cool. Mur des canuts, is a cool mural showing a bit of the history of this area.

6th: Fanciest area, not super interesting to walk, but also has the Parc de la Tete d’Or, which is a massive urban park and can be interesting to check out.

3rd: A bit like the 6th, has one of the main train terminals, and ok to walk, but not super interesting.

7th: Main area with a big N. African population. I think it’s pretty interesting and definitely has a different feel, but my friends are telling me that lately it can be a bit dangerous. The area around Guillotiere metro is the most interesting.

4 Likes

I don’t know how much south of Lyon @Cornboy has covered, but there’s good stuff down there, and that’s a good excuse to rent a car. MrsWookie and I enjoyed a nonlethal bullfight in a legit Roman coliseum in Arles, and the wine of Chateauneuf-du-Pape is worthy of its reputation. Chateau de la Gardine was surprisingly familial and cordial despite having wine more than worthy of being snooty about. I wish we could have spent more time in Lyon itself for me to stuff my face, but c’est la vie, we may just have to go back.

1 Like

Yah, that area is stacked, one of my favorite regions in the world: Arles, Avignon, Nimes, Saint Remy-de-Provence, Aix-en-Provence, Les Baux-de-provence, Pont du gard, and more, all in close proximity.

Cornboy’s wife has probably already visited Marseille/Montpellier and some/all of those though.

2 Likes

Thanks @Fossilkid93 and @MrWookie - we’re just starting to plan, so I may throw a few questions back at you. Annecy is something my wife mentioned too, seems like that may require a car as at first glance the train options weren’t great.

The internet is pretty wild - I don’t know if I’ve ever been in this thread before, wasn’t sure anyone would have any good thoughts on Lyon, and bam, I immediately get some great tips. Thank you.

2 Likes

Lyon is the home of andouillette. I haven’t found a place outside of France that serves it. So be sure to try it.

1 Like

Andouillettes are generally made from the large intestine and are 7–10 cm (2+3⁄4–4 in) in diameter. True andouillettes are rarely seen outside France and have a strong, distinctive odour coming from the colon. Although sometimes repellent to the uninitiated, the scent is prized by its devotees.

:vince4:

1 Like

Anybody know more about this and whether I should be concerned about a flight on British Airways from Geneva to Heathrow on 7/29?

The scent is weird but not horrible to me.

Some people swear by it. Others aren’t big fans but I think it’s worth at least trying.

1 Like

Oh I’ll try anything, but I’ll admit I wasn’t expecting what I got when I googled :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like the US is going pure dumpster fire. Bad timing on a photo drop but just went on a 4 hour jet ski tour of the entire island and it was by far the coolest thing I’ve ever done. Stopped at a floating tiki bar for a couple drinks as well. Just an absolute unreal experience. Best trip of my life.

4 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s the most mesmerizing color I’ve ever seen I don’t get it. Feels like a video game.

Ban tilted for wearing blackface

2 Likes

TCI water is ridonkulous.

The Chalk Sound which is a National park with unreal water and my new best friend.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any advice for this situation?

Flying from Vegas through Dallas. While in the air to Dallas, American cancels my flight home. They re-book me on a flight the next day, arriving over 24 hours later than my initially scheduled flight. Zero explanation given for the cancellation.

I am able to book a flight home on Delta myself, which goes fine.

Now, American wants to refund only 1/4 of the ticket cost and refuses to reimburse for the Delta flight. I already tried credit card trip interruption insurance, which only applies if the flight is canceled due to weather (LOL).

Am I just totally screwed here?