Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

I love Americanized Mexican food. It’s comfort food for me. Give me some crispy tacos with ground beef, lettuce and yellow cheese, or a nice pork burrito smothered in pink lard sauce.

However it’s also ridiculously unhealthy compared to actual authentic Mexican food.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve only been to Chicago twice. I could be talked into another place. I just remember the first time my gf took me there in college. I was like what is this heaven?

I traveled in Peru with a friend who had pet guinea pigs. Just seeing it on the menu traumatized her. I’ll try a few things, but I’m not into small cute mammals.

I do like the occasional ground beef taco, much to the chagrin of my girlfriend who says ground beef is the most boring of meats.

I tried one, and the meat isn’t even remotely tasty, and it’s a bit off-putting seeing it brought to your table like that. Never again.

wait, what’s the alternative here? Some white dude at Taco Bell Global HQ just invented the idea himself out of thin air? I think you have to have something along the lines of “social media brain” (foodie variant) to think this.

It’s a regional food item that sucks?

I just went to a restaurant that had tlayudas and I ordered one, it was delicious. Also had a dish with a white mole which I’d never seen before and loved it.

They have tejuino which I really like along with some other fermented drinks. Great spot if anyone is ever in the area.

I’ve never been to that region of Mexico but it seems like an elite food area based on my small exposure to it

There’s a Giordano’s outside of Bally’s in Vegas.

Currently a fire fighter strike at the Turks and Caicos airport. No flights allowed to land. I fly Monday. Should be a fun sweat. Rooting for the firefighters to get that money.

Mexico’s absurd food variety is a reflection of the unfathomable diversity of the whole country. There are many crazy little micro-regions totally unlike anywhere else in Mexico.

If it weren’t so goddamn dangerous it would be an elite travel destination—basically like a mix of the best parts about Europe and Central America. Instead, going to places like Michoacán is considered only for the bravest travelers, and not totally without merit.

Most of it is pretty safe though. Stay out of the middle of the Zapatista zone (at least with a car - not much to see there anyway except natural beauty), Michoacán, Guerrero and the US border areas, and you’d have to be pretty unlucky to get messed with.

Interesting. The handful of Peruvian restaurants I’ve been to in the states have always had diverse menus with a lot of tasty options.

I think I wrote this before but Nikkei (peruvian-japanese) cuisine is really interesting and I had an amazing dinner in Barcelona here

https://www.theworlds50best.com/discovery/Establishments/Spain/Barcelona/Pakta.html

google says the place is closed so this has been an extremely helpful post.

It’s kinda like going to a nice Indonesian restaurant. If you’ve never been to Indonesia before you’d maybe think that the country as whole has a super rich diverse and tasty cuisine. But when you’re there it’s like Nasi Goreng and Nasi Lemak and stuff drenched in peanut sauce for 90% of the meals.

The vast majority of the food you can find throughout Peru is really nothing special imo. But the food scene in Lima is very very good.

I’m not a fan of Indonesian and Malaysian food at all. Filipino food is even worse. But I don’t think any of those is really overrated as no one really rates them (around here anyway).

There is actually a decent Malaysian restaurant near where I live. They’ve Americanized some of the food a bit which I think might make it better. On the other hand, the satay is not nearly as good as what you’d get at a random street corner over there.

Yea, at least Malaysian food has more foreign influences involved. This might sound like blasphemy but Indonesia needs to cool it putting satay sauce on everything! I think Filipino food as a whole is probably the worst in Asia. I do like some good lechon or chicken adobo though.

Boneless, skinless chicken breast is the most voriyof meats.

This is probably true of a lot of major metros. For example British food sucks, but London has a great food scene.

True, but that’s why the UK isn’t an elite food scene. Or Peru. There are quite a few countries where you can find great food all across the country, even at the lower price points and out in the countryside.

1 Like

It’s not that many countries, is it? Like maybe 20% of countries at most? That’s certainly “quite a few” in absolute numbers, but if you were to visit a random country, it probably wouldn’t be the case. Of course, people don’t visit random countries. No one is going on a weekend getaway to Chad.