Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Yeah airfare is outrageous. I just paid $1k per ticket for basic coach to Vegas.

Glad I bought my Paris ticket a few months ago. LAX ā†’ Amsterdam and Paris ā†’ LAX, both non-stops, business class, $3300.

Iā€™ve gotten in the habit of traveling before memorial or after Labor Day because of prices + avoiding rush of massive tourists.

I just booked a one way rental car for 8 days. $1500.

Our plane tickets from LA to Rome (direct), returning from Geneva to LA (via London) were $1300 each in coach. That seemed relatively reasonable to me.

Man I felt shitty about the $300 I spent round-trip non-stop coach from Prague to Istanbul until I heard how much some of you are spending.

I couldnā€™t get under $2k for coach on mine w/o some nasty stops and many many more hours. So I just said fuck it and spent the extra $1300 for business.

I canā€™t believe I flew one way direct to Delhi for $350 a month ago.

Flights home to Chicago from Pakistan are not looking pretty

Gotcha! Just curious, when youā€™re on a safari, how many hours a day are you spending in the jeep? I like to go out at sunrise/sunset but then what do you do the rest of the day, more safariing?!

My sample size is 1 - going in 2 - but generally the itinerary seems to be sunrise game drive for 3-3.5 hours and a sunset game drive for 2-3 hours. Time in the middle is for R&R back at the lodge/camp + lunch.

I think some places will offer bush walks or other activities in that time between drives.

Kruger park itself most people are self-driving so you could be out all day long if you really wanted, but I suspect most people follow a similar schedule since thatā€™s when the animals are most active.

Wish I could have got business that cheap. It is highly in demand on the US - Australia route at the moment. My flights were like $US 1,630 but business would have been over 7 grand.

Yea the self driving in Kruger is kinda fun, definitely more of a crapshoot though! Some of the camps have animal sightings boards, so you might wanna check to see if yours does. Anyway, sounds like a sweet trip!

Iā€™m the weirdo who would probably love just driving all around to look at the scenery as much or more than trying to see specific animals all day. Iā€™ve been on one of those things in India where everyone had leopard or tiger fever, and would be disappointed when we didnā€™t see one, and I was just like look at all this other cool stuff.

Animal pictures rarely come out that good unless you have a gargantuan lens and are dedicated to spending hours sitting in one place waiting for them to do something interesting. With exceptions of course.

2 Likes

Bringing up Kruger and taking photos brings this to mind

1 Like

Is there any prey animal that fights back as much as water buffalo? Elephants I guess.

Are elephants really a prey animal? I didnā€™t think anything fucked around with them. Maybe if there is a baby elephant off on itā€™s own or something like that. I thought they normally stick together and even a bunch of lions is gonna think twice about going after a bunch of elephants.

thereā€™s a rather famous planet earth (? I think) scene where a pack of lions goes after some elephants.

who won?

Hooray no more restrictions on travel to Turkey!

1 Like

Babies sometimes, same as water buffalo.