Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

I noticed in Seoul that there are tons of seniors out and about and using the metro. I’d generously say 5x the amount I’ve seen anywhere else: Europe, LatAm, USA, etc.

I’m sure this is indicative of their aging population, but also it seems like seniors there are just way more active. Is this a common thing in Japan too? I’d say not the case in Thailand.

I rode the Tokyo subway a lot when I visited last year. Didn’t notice this. Certainly not 5x.

The San Diego taco scene is simply incredible. Hit both City Taco & The Taco Stand in North Park yesterday and it’s hard to believe there are things on this planet that can taste so good.

8 Likes

The olds are active in China! The aunties go out and do their little exercise dance routine thing in the parks every morning and evening. It’s pretty great

2 Likes

I enjoy The Taco Stand in Las Vegas. I eat there regularly.

1 Like

It was so good we went there two days in a row.

Feel liks prices for AirBnB are unusually high, especially for Romania. I actually found guesthouses that were only a few dollar cheaper for my vacation on booking.com than the cheapest decent AirBnB.

Could just be the two cities I searched for: Cluj-Napoca and Brasov. Timisoara seemed fine. Haven’t searched for Bucharest yet.

Back in Japan and confirm that the toilets are clean and the bidets are fine.

1 Like

The bids are alright, you say?

1 Like

Lol black cards. Amex has legit fallen off a cliff

Brasov was a bit more expensive for us last August, we paid $350 for a week there. Bucharest and Sibiu we stayed a month and paid 1k and 700. We also needed pet friendly, which usually bumps up price 15-20%.

We usually try to stay pretty central and look for a 1BR that isn’t too decrepit.

Prices weren’t too bad I guess, for AirBNB.

We’re starting to get priced out of a lot of W and C Europe, as the most we’ll generally pay is $1300-1400 for a month. 2 years ago we got places in Paris and Barcelona for that price during Winter, but it seems even that wouldn’t be possible anymore except a crappy studio that’s far from center.

So we did Romania and Poland last Summer and both came in a bit under budget, even in high season.

Now we’re doing Asia for the next 5 years and prices here seem extremely cheap even in Tokyo, Seoul, and Hong Kong.

The main factor is that you can get tiny studios for super cheap, and we’ll probably be traveling individually, so that works for us. Seoul was $220 for a week in a decently located, but basic studio. Perfectly fine as it was mostly just to sleep. Even HK and Tokyo it looks like I could get a studio for $250/week or so in reasonable locations.

Seoul I hardly even spent anything as the metro is pretty cheap (about $1.10 for as many transfers as you want) and museums practically free. Food is also very reasonable.

A disturbing number of passengers boarding my flight seem to require an explanation of how numbers and letters work.

god, i wish i lived in japan.

Girlfriend and I are going to Krakow by overnight train for a few days in the beginning of July.

Kind of a last minute thing since she can’t afford to come with me to Romania (planned the trip before we were official). Plus, I didn’t get a chance to go to Auschwitz when I visited back in 2017 due to illness.

Weirdly enough, I don’t remember much from my time in Krakow and most of my pictures are lost to time. My phone busted with a bunch of pics from Poland that I couldn’t upload to social media. So this is another shot to get some pics of Krakow up there.

LAS I presume?

Make sure you brush up on your Photoshop skills before you post them, because everyone knows you must polish Polish pictures.

I haven’t had to sleep anywhere outside in a long time, but managed to find myself in that situation in Tokyo last night, of all places. I was arriving at Haneda terminal 3 at 12:30am, so I booked an airport hotel, which was in Terminal 1. Flight ended up getting in at 1:45, apparently there’s no way to get from Terminal 3 to terminal 1 besides taking a taxi at that hour, great, so 2,000 yen ($13) to get to T1. Then the taxi tried shorting me by 1,000 lol, he drops me off and drives off, turns out the terminal is closed, everything locked, doors don’t open till 5am, wtf. There’s no cars, no taxis, no nothing at T1, just completely dead, I have no internet, so I just slept outside on the concrete until they’d open the doors and I could get a few hours of sleep in an actual bed. Not the best planning on my part, but damn I never expected staying at an airport hotel at the airport I’m arriving at to be so difficult!

2 Likes

Anyone have experience boarding a US domestic flight without ID? I lost my wallet in Vegas. I do have a picture of my driver’s license on my phone.

I read that already. I would like some info on how long the process takes.