Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Planning a trip to Calgary and Banff in early June. Would love any recommendations from anyone who’s been in the area. Priorities would be anything in the realm of:
Food
Breweries
Outdoor adventures
Other unique experiences (cultural, shopping, fun, etc.)
Rockhounding for my 7-year-old son

1 Like

I was just there. Went at almost 10 pm on a week night. 45 min wait for food. We had the kids with us and it was already late, so we left. Never got a chance to go back.

Edit: Just looked it up and actually the place we went to was not City Tacos, but The Taco Stand. Given the available info, I’d guess that place is legit also. After we bailed on The Taco Stand, we went to a place called Brother’s which was great. Then again, I was hungry AF.

If it’s like the taco stand in Las Vegas it’s legit. But totally different than a place like Taco’s El Gordo.

Headed to Seoul for a week on the 16th. Any quick day trips that are worth it or any interesting things to do beyond the touristy top 10 lists? I think I’m for sure gonna check out a baseball game one afternoon. The atmosphere looks pretty fun.

Back in the US of A after two years. First impression:

Either Americans are humungous or Japanese are tiny. Can’t figure out which.

Aren’t you a self-proclaimed old? Eating dinner at 10pm? I’m 40 and if I eat food after 8pm, it’s guaranteed I’m sleeping like shit.

Will try to get to Brother’s when I’m in SD. All the tacos!

1 Like

I can eat whenever and go straight to sleep. If anything it helps.

That was atypical, though. On vacation with kids it’s hard to stick with a plan sometimes.

Had this happen in South Korea. Since we noticed on a highway, we waited until we got to walking distance from our destination and walked the rest of the way.

Thankfully, the highway was not busy. It also really sobered us all up.

Hot travel take:

Cincinnati is a nice city.

Until you have to interact with other people, sure.

fyp

1 Like

Only my family, and they’re alright.

I am not a big fan of Cincitucky, went to college with a lot of people from there and many of them sucked. Visited once and hated it. There are no places in Ohio I’d willingly visit, but I’ve never been to Columbus.

I spent a few days in downtown Cleveland for work last year and didn’t mind it. Seemed like a fine medium sized city area to me.

Cincy seems fine enough. Downtown a bit sterile but OTR is a cool area. I’d kill to have all major sports/event venues in one central CBD area in my city, so bonus points to any city that does that.

Columbus is by far the best city in Ohio and it still sucks.

3 Likes

Columbus is plain vanilla.

Ohio a top 30 state imo. And Cincinnati easily a top 25 Ohio city.

2 Likes

I think if you’re gonna visit for a weekend, Cleveland > Columbus. But if you’re gonna live there Columbus > Cleveland.

They all suck. Cincinnati also, despite the fact that I never had a bad time there. However, all of my visits were one or two day trips. Less than 5 days lifetime.

Hot travel take. American public restrooms are disgusting.

Endless puddles of piss and pools of shit.