Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Somehow building any kind of rail connection to LAX is up there with the Panama Canal in complexity and effort. They literally delayed the Olympics four years for the rail link, and it still might not be ready in time.

thanks, i think Nikko and Kamakura are already penciled in.

do you have an opinion on visiting Hiroshima?

Bringing Roku on trips is great

It is extremely rare for me to take a non-stop domestic flight. I Iā€™m willing to pay a premium to avoid connections. Iā€™ve only done one this decade that I can think of. I donā€™t travel that much. Iā€™d say on average I take 10 flights a year. Also, I fortunately have no reason to go anywhere that doesnā€™t have a direct flight. And I have lived nearly all my life in large cities with major airports.

Iā€™d say once your trip goes above the 8hr mark, then thatā€™s dire.

Have never been to Hiroshima but I hear itā€™s great. Okonomiyaki is supposed to be amazing there.

Have been to Nagasaki (another great destination) and experienced all of the A-Bomb stuff and itā€™s moving.

I would just keep in mind what I mentioned about trying to cram too much into one trip with limited time, and plan accordingly.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you posted your tentative itinerary, but if youā€™re doing the classic itinerary of Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka, plus trips out to Nikko, Kamakura, and Fuji, Iā€™d say including Hiroshima would definitely be cutting it pretty thin.

1 Like

Tā€™es fou

2 Likes

yeah, itā€™s a concern.

followup question on hot spring baths etiquette. internet claims they are all separate gender, no tattoos, no clothing of any kind allowed. true/false?

Usually separate gender. Usually no tattoos allowed. Youā€™ll want to find specific gaijin/tattoo friendly hot springs if thatā€™s a concern. Usually no clothes allowed.

Another option is a kashikiri, meaning baths you can reserve exclusively for your own use.

A third option would be to stay at an inn with a private hot springs bath connected to your room.

These latter two options you could use with a partner of the opposite sex, if you so desire, and tattoos should not be an issue (but you should still check about tattoos to make sure).

1 Like

Is the no tattoo thing a Mafia thing or a conservative society thing?

Yakuza in origin. And being an inflexible society when it comes to rules, exceptions are seldom made for foreigners or regular tattooed citizens who clearly arenā€™t a part of the underworld culture.

Too many tourists in Japan

Indeed:

I saw one Geisha fleetingly in Kyoto in 1998-ish. I was under the impression they were on the way out even then.

In the Gion district of Kyoto, where old traditions are maintained, geisha (or maiko) are still very much a fixture, but generally, yes, they are mostly a thing of the past.

My own neighborhood used to be a geisha district. Not anymore. My 90-year-old next door neighbor is a former geisha. Still makes a mean cup of tea.

1 Like

Are tourism levels a lot more burdensome than historically or did everyone just get used to massively reduced tourism during Covid times and itā€™s a tough transition now?

When I first lived here in the mid to late 90s, I barely remember ever seeing a tourist.

But the Internet & social media, rising interest in manga & anime, and an aggressive campaign by the Japanese government to boost tourism completely changed things, to where now itā€™s really raging out of control, particularly in places like Tokyo & Kyoto.

So much so that overrun destinations are starting to take active measures to dissuade tourists from visiting those spots.

Are you familiar with the term ā€œweeabooā€?

1 Like

Haha I went to that Lawsons when I was in Fujikawaguchiko, had no idea it was a selfie destination. In hindsight Iā€™m pretty glad I went in low season (December), everything was pretty chill, especially weekday mornings, even in Kyoto, and the weather was actually pretty pleasant. Great ramen and katsu curry weather.

1 Like

No.