Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

You should never be eating at airports except in dire circumstances. It’s so easy to plan around.

Beverage situation, on the other hand, is a reasonable concern. How exactly can they fuck that up?

No way is this true, especially if you have kids, have an expense account, or are flying an airline like Southwest that doesn’t have any appreciable in flight food.

A lot of longer layovers post covid. Frequencies are down. LGA is mostly an O/D airport but I’ve definitely had layovers there.

Maybe “dire” wasn’t the best choice of words.

I file kids under “dire circumstances”. I’ll get stuff for my kids at the airport because they seem to always be hungry at the airport and are annoying AF about it. Also, they have shit palates and don’t realize the food is terrible.

If you have an expense acct, doesn’t it make sense to just use it on better food outside the airport? When I travel I normally try to eat a decent size meal a little before I leave for the airport. I’m normally good for 6-8 hrs after that. Maybe take something for a snack, if I’m worried it might be longer.

Despite the above, sometimes there are flight delays or other shit that happens. In that case, I’ll eat at the airport too. It doesn’t happen too often. Occasionally, I will know that an airport has a good option, and then I’ll just plan to eat there (did this in Singapore last year for example). I’m not counting that. Off the top of my head, in the last year, I ate at an airport two unplanned times.

There are times when convenience is more important than quality or price when dining.

I sometimes plan on eating at a busier airport when the security line is unpredictably long.

yes and no

I never get to the airport early, my goal is to spend as little time in the airport as possible, but this only works for the origin. If you have a connection, you’re basically stuck, and while you sometimes can schedule a short connection, you can’t always.

not sure if you’ve actually flown anywhere before? or have you only taken nonstop flights?

Not sure what the problem is with food at LGA. Seems fine to me.

I’m “get to the airport crazy early” guy. Traffic in LA is extremely unpredictable, especially around the airport; LAX itself is extremely unpredictable; and I hate rushing. Come at me bros.

When we flew to Italy we got to the airport so early our driver (a guy we’ve used a ton) got legitimately mad at me.

Are you my mom?

He’s all of our moms.

Was this a direct flight? LAX to Italy sounds rough.

Yes, it was direct. And yes pretty rough, but I still think less rough than connecting.

no subway access. they just spent four trillion dollars on it and fucked up traffic for like six years and didn’t address the only actual problem with it

1 Like

I won’t dispute the public transportation situation for LGA (and all NYC-area airports) is substandard, but I was responding to the criticism that food & beverage at the new LGA is an abomination.

I think Cuomo proposed an AirTrain to LGA, but Hochul killed it. I’m sure I’m missing a whole bunch of other politics that were involved.

no I get that, I just think people are dumb as shit and complain about the least important stuff (e.g. “laguardia is old and looks like a bus station” who gives a fuck are you fucking moving in?) and that’s what got fixed. now you have a nice shiny airport that still has all the problems it had before. why people give a fuck how “old” an airport looks is absolutely dumbfounding

like, my comment wasn’t really directed at you, I think the concession situation at LGA is basically the same as it was before, maybe slightly improved, it’s still pretty shitty and they spent all the time and effort on appearances, any other improvement was purely incidental.

I don’t disagree. In many ways I’d still probably take back the old LGA because for me, being able to go gate-to-curb in like 60 seconds upon arrival was pretty great, and my most valued “feature”.

1 Like

I think they made some legitimate infrastructure improvements that help with runway congestion. They should improve public transportation access. That neighborhood has long opposed extending the subway to LGA. Cuomo’s proposal was stupid because it went the wrong way, but arguably that’s better than nothing.

To be fair the train was going to cost like 10 billion dollars and went like directly away from the airport before heading towards the city, meaning it was going to take forever.

I’m taking a train into CDG 1:45 before my flight (earliest train possible from Marseille) home on Memorial Day. How crazy am I?