Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Yeah, I’m getting to be like this. I can sleep OK on the road, but home is always better. I don’t even want to get a new bed since I’m so accustomed to my current one.

I sleep like crap the first night in a new bed. But I get used to it after that. Doxepin also helps.

Yeah, if I take some horse tranquilizer, I can sleep anywhere.

I’ve also discovered something. I love the idea of traveling, but hate actually traveling.

2 Likes

yeah the actual traveling is the worst. like BEING somewhere is great but GETTING there sucks (if you’re flying for sure, even driving really kinda blows, train is the best but basically impossible in the US)

the IDEA of taking a boat sounds great but the reality of being on a cruise ship with four billion other people is a fucking nightmare for me and you can’t really GO places on a boat nowadays anyway (I guess the Queen Mary still sails from NY to England? but that’s about it unless you’re chartering a yacht?)

If I get tired of travel days in Japan of all places, then I will know I’m basically done with any type of travel lol.

Last year since I had the JR Pass, there was one day when I wanted to do some work on my laptop, I just hopped on the Shinkansen for a few hours. Grabbed a window seat, it was great. I could sit in those trains all day.

2 Likes

traveling to San Antonio for the eclipse. what are some good food joints that we must hit?

Get a RV. That way, they are your own beds and you’re taking them with you.

Pinkerton’s BBQ downtown is pretty good.

1 Like

A question for seasoned domestic travelers.

I have American Platinum Pro status. I’ve booked a domestic flight, and the seating available was normal seating. However, according to my status I qualify for seating upgrades.

Question: do I get upgraded automatically, or do I have to request an upgrade? And if the latter, what is the timing that I make that request? Well in advance? Right before boarding?

I’m clueless. Thanks for any help.

Not familiar with American but on Delta you can opt into a Comfort + and or a First Class upgrade in your profile and it will apply to any flight you have upcoming. They notify you if you get one anywhere from a few days out up to just before the flight time.

1 Like

Clear is approaching being totally useless. The precheck + clear line is almost always longer than the precheck only line at major airports now. Separately those new luggage scanning machines are a disaster, they take forever.

I have clear as a perk from Delta but there is absolutely no way I would ever pay for it, at best you’re trading a few minutes of standing in line while staring at your phone for a few minutes of … sitting at the gate staring at your phone. There might occasionally be times where it saves me more than a couple of minutes but it isn’t consistent so I can’t change my behavior re: scheduling when I arrive at the airport etc. But like most things at the airport, it’s “we can charge more money if we make some smooth brains feel fancier than the other dipshits on this plane”

Seattle had a shorter line for clear, but only one of the 4 machines was being used at once and people kept having issues with it. Crazy.

If you’re flying out of SEA, I would highly recommend using Spot Saver. It let’s you schedule a time to skip the line entirely, as long as you show up +/-15 minutes from your scheduled time. I forgot to schedule in advance for my trip last week, but was actually able to secure a time while driving to the airport. I haven’t seen this program at other airports yet.

2 Likes

I think this is changing unfortunately. Quintana Roo used to be super safe but is now about on par for Mexico if not a little worse.

Yucatan is still much better than the rest of Mexico.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Mexican-state-homicide-rates-per-100-000-people-2006-2012-2018-Maps-created-by_fig1_365382896

I never really understood the value prop of Clear. Even going back 4-5 years (when I had it paid through work for a couple of years), in some of the busiest airports in the country, it would seem to save me maybe 5 mins at best vs. Pre-Check. And it seems like now it’s often longer than pre-check. I’m good waiting 5 mins and not paying for another service, and honestly, would feel a little hesitant about getting it even if an employer was still covering it.

There was a window of time where it really helped at big airports with tons of business travelers who have Precheck. I have saved over an hour at JFK more than once. But now basically everyone with precheck has clear paid for via credit card or work or whatever so it’s useless.

I travel here every 6m so thanks for the tip