Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Assuming the prices are similar, which would you pick?

• Business Class: LA to Montreal, 2 hour layover, Montreal to Paris
  • Economy Plus: LA to Paris non-stop
0 voters

If strongly one or the other, how much price difference would it take to change your pick?

Lean business, but in addition to price, I could also be swayed by timings. Iā€™d rather get into Paris in the morning, get some sunlight, and push myself hard for a day before crashing (and then likely waking up early-ish but not crazily so, and then being basically on local time) rather than getting in at night and having a harder time adjusting. Or, if itā€™s a short trip, having a few extra hours there may be a meaningful percentage of your overall time in France, so that can be worth more than a fancier flight. Airline might make a difference, too. Iā€™d look into how much nicer business is than economy for your airline, but on British Air on my recent trip to Switzerland, it was a pretty huge difference.

I voted for the nonstop flight, but with the caveats that:

• Iā€™m smaller than most UP people (who seem to be fucking giants)
  • Iā€™ve never actually been in business class, so I donā€™t know what Iā€™m missing
3 Likes

Unless the Montreal layover is happening in the winter or during the middle of the night, I canā€™t see wanting to sit for 11 hours straight on the non-stop.

Pretty sure Suzzer is a giant, and business can include a lay down bed, substantially better food, and always having your wine topped up. Probably worth about $200-300 to me (also a giant), all else being equal, which is why I donā€™t often fly business unless someone else is paying, but there are a lot of factors going into international travel.

1 Like

Iā€™d pay about 30% more for the business class option in most cases.

Interestingly, if it were a mission critical work trip in a tight window I would be more likely to take the economy option to reduce the chance of trip delays and such.

1 Like

One other thing to consider is if youā€™ll have to go through customs and re-check your bag with the layover option. Iā€™m not sure if that would be the case or not, but that could turn a 2 hr layover into a stressful nailbiter.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s actually the case in Canada, although if you were doing an international-to-international connection thru the USA it would be. But he would have to go through immigration, which can be stressful.

Montreal to Paris is a pretty quick flight, which is suboptimal. The AC flight leaves Montreal at 9:25pm and gets into Paris at 10am, or 1am west coast time, which is pretty rough no matter what the seat is like.

There are several LAX-CDG flights, but I notice one on AF that leaves LAX at 9pm and arrives at CDG at 5pm. That is pretty much perfect, unless you have some plan for that first afternoon (which I recommend against). Eastbound transatlantic flights are never fun, but short ones are paradoxically worse than long ones.

1 Like

I chose the direct option. Too much could happen when you have to reach a connecting flight. Might be interesting how full these planes LA to Paris usually are. When I flew Berlin to Montreal few years ago I had a full row of 3 seats for myself. On long flights I would chose aisle seats for myself anyway.
One more thing: If its an A380 from LA i take that option out of curiosity.

Iā€™d try to fly on a 787 all else being equal. The larger windows, higher air pressure, and higher humidity are noticeably more comfortable, even if Boeingā€™s been in the news for the wrong reasons lately.

1 Like

I had a sub 1 hour layover (think it was 50 min) going Singapore > Seoul > Minneapolis. That was a bit of a nailbiter, we made it with 10-15 minutes to spare.

For the Southern California folks. This is on Avianca. Never heard of them, but assume theyā€™re a low cost carrier like frontier or spirit. @suzzer99

Thanks for posting. Avianca is Colombiaā€™s state carrier. Absolute horror stories online but I took the risk and flew them within Colombia and then from Bogota to LAX. They were totally fine. I think itā€™s one of those things where itā€™s great if everything goes according to plan, but if a flight gets canceled or you need to change your itinerary it can get hairy.

Also they do their fares as S, M, L, XL, XXL. So those fares are certainly for S, which might not even allow a carry on.

Youā€™re right, forgot to post this as well:

1 Like

How well are you fitting in Economy seats these days? My last trip home I upgraded because I knew I wasnā€™t fitting in economy seatsā€¦

At similar prices, Iā€™m not sure how this is a decision. Easily biz class for me.

1 Like

Not great Bob.

Iā€™m not any fatter, but Iā€™m older, and my back does not like those seats for more than a few hours.

3 Likes

After anout 12 trips to Puerto Rico Iā€™ve been mulling ways to spend more time thereā€¦ been thinking about renting a house next winter ā€¦ also looking at empty land for sale, run down houses ā€¦ could I buy a boat and live on it? Just work from there some part of the year? ā€¦ renting for a season seems like a safe next step after visiting over the years for shorter stints. But the idiot kid in me wants to buy some abandoned place and then ā€¦ not sure what then, i have no construction skills ā€¦

2 Likes

If you entertain that last thought any further, you may be interested in this guy on Youtube renovating two old stone cabins in the mountains of Italy. It may ā€œscratch that itchā€ enough and give you some insight into the effort and tasks that may need to be completed. Obviously he isnā€™t in Puerto Rico and he had some constructions skills beforehand so itā€™s not a perfect comparison, but hope it helps.

1 Like

If this is a long term plan, you can probably start getting construction skills from community colleges or trade schools. Renting a boat for a season sounds really expensive but Iā€™ve been watching too many 100k a week charter boat videos.

1 Like