Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Was supposed to go to Sicily with girlfriend. Then we broke up.

Sad that we broke up but sure glad we did. Hopefully she doesn’t stalk my ass down there. Knowing her, she probably saved the AirBnB addresses.

Time for new beginnings. Anybody been to Catania during The Feast of St. Agatha? Looks like a huge religious party and I’m looking forward to it.

3 Likes

i didn’t realize tampa was dangerous. busch gardens if you like roller coasters.

Ybor is fine, been there countless times. I wouldn’t want to stay there, though. It’s a typical area for lots of marginal bars, cigars are prime there though.

If you can find a spot in hyde Park or Davis Island. Downtown Tampa is great, check out the river walk (armature works is a great food hall by the river, so is Ulele), channel side and sparkman wharf. If you get a chance, go to a lightning game. Lots of great breweries in Tampa. If you want to check out a beach, and have a car, I’d make the drive to Sarasota for siesta key.

What other sorts of things do you enjoy?

I live about 30 minutes east of Tampa.

Berns steakhouse is good, The Columbia is in ybor is a popular spot, Mise Es Place, Oak & Ola.

1 Like

lol, why are you so afraid of Tampa?

It’s in Florida?

1 Like

I’m not, we just dont know anything about the area and would prefer to not stay in the worst part of town.

My friend and I travel pretty relaxed. We’re not drinkers or partiers. Mostly we like to eat our way through a town, hoping to try whatever the regional or ethnic specialties are. While we aren’t against doing the touristy things that “you have to do when you come here”, we tend to try to do the things that people that live there would do on a weekend if they had the time and money to do them.

We will usually visit museums and other things like that as well.

1 Like

Do the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg.

2 Likes

On the list, thanks.

We booked an Airbnb in East Ybor, about half a mile east of Ybor City Museum Park.

1 Like

Also, Cigar City Brewing, not too far from the airport, is elite if you like strong beer.

1 Like

Armature Works in Tampa Heights is good option for an afternoon, it’s got a nice outdoor area, a path to downtown along the river, and some decent, albeit overpriced food options. The Empañada place is solid. The restaurant Ulele next door has some great seafood

1 Like

Everything I listed are places I’d check out and i live here. Dali museum is awesome.

Ringling museum down in Sarasota is also pretty sweet if you don’t mind driving.

1 Like

My non-stop flight to Vegas yesterday was practically full. They made at least 10% of the passengers gate check their carry-ons. There were maybe two or three open seats near the back of this forty row plane. Over 240 passengers and crew, along with stowed baggage and jammed-packed overhead compartments.

Just before takeoff, the pilot comes on and says, “We have a weight imbalance, and we need a volunteer to move from Row 34 to Row 37.”

W-T-F!?

Also, everyone needs to make sure their affairs are in order.

2 Likes

When was the last time you’ve been? I heard it was gentrifying/Disneyfying, but I have no evidence either way

About a year ago, i think. It seems the same as it ever has, too me.

1 Like

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/travel/what-a-10-million-vacation-looks-like-8893ba0f?st=a29012s9h7pij17&reflink=mobilewebshare_permalink

http://archive.today/UUPXa

1 Like

Would if I was filthy rich

1 Like

Do you think that the Olympics are going to fuck up traveling in general around Europe (Italy)? Making it busier before, after and during?