Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Agree with the above. There’s basically no chance that you would be flagged for doing this. (Beforehand, that is. I guess there’s a tiny chance the airline puts you on the naughty list after you skip the return, but that’s highly unlikely also).

Also, none of the general traveler risks of hidden-city ticketing exist in this situation - e.g., being forced to check a bag, being re-routed away from your connection city, etc.

If you can do so at the same price, book your “return” trip way out in the future, either in case you want to go back to Ireland next year, or if there’s a significant schedule change you might be able to cancel for a partial refund.

2 Likes

Why do airlines care if you do this?

Because they make less money.

Because they earn less than if one bought the more expensive ticket to their actual destination.

I guess I also don’t understand why a 1 way or 1 leg of a 2 leg flight is ever more expensive than double the flight. Shrug.

They should just be happy they are carrying less weight on the second trip.

Narrator: The airline was not happy when they failed to extract maximum value from their prey…err…customer.

Back from Georgia.

Got a bit over a week until a trip to Gdansk. Then that ends my leisure travel for a while.

1 Like

After going through 12 rings of bullshit to get into China, arriving in the airport of a country (Thailand) that actually wants tourists felt pretty damn good.

Had my money and my sim card ~10 minutes after getting off the plane.

2 Likes

That’s sensible, but this sounds like an airline problem. They set the prices, not the customers. If they don’t like it then they can change the prices to eliminate the incentive.

Measured my bag to see if it’s acceptable as a cabin bag for Ryanair.

And of course it’s too tall by 2 cm. So I have to check it in order to avoid Ryanair’s extortionate fines for oversized baggage.

I know what you’re thinking. They don’t check every bag. True but I’ve been fined in the past for oversized baggage (too wide…barely) and I don’t want to give those scumbags more money.

Off to Poland this afternoon. Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Gdansk is a place you can easily knock out in a couple of days. Solid place though not as cheap as I thought. Most of the prices are in line with Prague or maybe slightly lower. Sopot is your typical beach destination. Unfortunately, the weather has been dog shit most of my time here which has dented my day trip to Sopot.

Also it seems that if you aren’t staying near the Old Town of Gdansk, you have pretty much nothing to do. I’m 15 minutes away by public transport from Sopot and over 30 from Gdansk’s Old Town. Wish I did my research instead of picking the cheapest place to stay.

Off to Gdynia tomorrow.

1 Like

What’s the refugee situation there? Poland took in a ton of Ukranians, didn’t they?

Yeah. I haven’t bothered to ask about it to be honest with you. I don’t see signs or anti-refugee protests anywhere in Gdansk.

Thing is that there already was a large Ukrainian population based in Poland before the war. I wouldn’t be surprised if the sentiment is more in line with Czech Republic which also had a large Ukrainian population before the war.

I did see a small pro-life demonstration in Sopot though. Pretty tame and weak. Felt tacky to have it in the main tourist area of the city.

They’re definitely not anti-refugee, in fact, they’re constantly collecting money for Ukraine in Warsaw. Tough to say how many refugees are there on the surface although I didn’t get the impression that they’re inundated with Ukrainians in any of the cities I visited.

I just found out I’m going to be staying at one end of this crazy trail (Gimmelwald). I might need to go check it out. But the weight limit is 120kg, which I should be under, but not by much (and not loaded with water). Not sure if I wanted to be scraping right up against the weight limit.

It is so beautiful in that area that my brain had trouble processing it. If you go closer to Lucerne I recommend Mt. Pilatus, we loved it.

Bitter chocolate ice cream with whipped cream. So insanely good. I’ve never found this outside Germany. Dark chocolate yes, but not bitter chocolate with real whipped cream.

3 Likes

I became a fan of booza which is a type of ice cream from the Middle East. Had some in Turkey last summer and haven’t been able to find it in Europe since. I imagine if I looked hard for it in Albania, I might have been able to find it.

The Autobahn is some fun driving. I got up to 200 km/hr (125 mph) briefly. That was a little spooky. But 175 felt great.

My hotel in Innsbruck. Haven’t seen that filter in a while.