Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

My entry in the Ephesus cat collection:

6 Likes

Avianca is in complete shambles right now and shouldnā€™t be flown. But Copa and LATAM are fine.

(Iā€™ve only flown Avianca and Copa. Neither was remarkable.)

I have read some horror stories on Reddit. But also people who fly it regularly without issues. It seems that if thereā€™s no schedule change or anything, itā€™s fine. But if thereā€™s a problem like a canceled flight you can be fucked. Itā€™s a shame, thereā€™s a perfect direct flight from Bogota to LA but I donā€™t think I can risk it.

Korean Air and Delta donā€™t seem to have a great partnership jfc. Trying to change seats/upgrade on the Korean Air leg of a Delta flight and both airlines say the other airline has to handle it. Canā€™t do it online, clown show.

I havenā€™t flown to South America since the start of the pandemic, but LATAM is the most trustworthy of those three imo.

I have two cousins who worked for Avianca for a long time and when the company filed for bankruptcy they werenā€™t paid their benefits (one month severance per year of service, among other things). It was a very crappy situation, and I donā€™t know how the company has been doing since the bankruptcy filings.

Having said all that, BogotĆ” is Aviancaā€™s main hub in South America, so likely they take care of the LAX-Bogota route pretty well?

I am so tempted to roll the Avianca dice, the BOG-LAX flight is head and shoulders above the other options. But the reviews on Tripadvisor, good lord.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Airline_Review-d8729028-Reviews-Avianca

Yikes! Though TripAdvisor LATAMā€™s reviews donā€™t look that much better either.

But honestly, itā€™s not much different than flying any of the major US domestic airlines. They all can be totally fine until thereā€™s some unforseen event and unless you have status with the airline, itā€™s a shitshow.

Iā€™m reminding myself that very few people think ā€œOMG that was a great experience, Iā€™m going to go leave that airline a 5 star review.ā€ Of course all the people moved to take the time to leave reviews are livid.

1 Like

I am rolling the Avianca dice. I selected the highest class economy fare available and it allowed me to select the business-class style fold flat seats. I will be absolutely astonished if that works out but I guess weā€™ll see!

1 Like

I flew Aeromexico business class when it was the same fare as economy on other airlines and it worked out great.

1 Like

The key is low expectations. As long as you go in with that mindset, youā€™ll be fine.

1 Like

Lay flat seats are next to God. Iā€™m completely spoiled for international travel. I donā€™t know if I can ever do coach again. The flight is just miserable, and add an extra day of jet lag on both ends.

1 Like

One of my superpowers is that I can sleep anytime, anywhere, in just about any position.

Unfortunately, my abilities are declining with age. Iā€™m still good at sleeping but not elite.

But even now, with the right pill, I can sleep through an entire 10 hr flight. Just stick me in a coach window seat and Iā€™ll be out for the whole thing. Thatā€™s like a multi-thousand dollar value.

1 Like

I can get some sleep. But itā€™s really crappy. And my back hurts. Being 6ā€™1 250 lbs doesnā€™t help.

I donā€™t fit in the Delta lay flat beds, never tried them on any other airline. Obvously theyā€™re way better than normal seats but I still get cramped up and sleep like shit. Upcoming flight to Singapore is going to be awful :harold:

I used to work for one guy that would always buy two seats, first class ofc.

Sounds like youā€™ve outgrown coachā€¦ happens

I canā€™t think of a single first class seating arrangement Iā€™ve ever seen where one could take up two seats. It would be useless in lay flats. And the others always have some kind of unmovable post between the seats.

They do couples seats and this guy canā€™t fit sideways in one seat

was meaning intercontinental - not seattle to vegasā€¦ or mehico

Whatā€™s a couples seat? And whoā€™s they?

Iā€™m talking about international too. There are no lay-flats from Seattle to Vegas. But even Seattle to Vegas thereā€™s usually an unmovable divider between the two seats.