Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Next:

https://www.nysavineyard.com/

Did not enjoy these noirs, these were by far the most tannin-laden wines I’ve ever tasted, but the port was absolutely spectacular. Staff here was pretty dull tbh, no snacks at all (the sommelier mentioned they had some sort of issue with licensing with the county health board). Overall would not return.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I don’t see why that’s a reason not to tip the owner/driver once they manage to set up their own business in direct competition with the corporate tour operator that does get tips.

Finally: https://www.domaineserene.com/

This place is sort of insane, very new money, bougie levels off the charts. It’s like the Disney world version of French wine culture.

The wines were fantastic, though, and the staff were great. The views are insane, even now in the winter. Would recommend but it’s a totally different experience.

Highly recommend the add-on flight.

2 Likes

Domaine Serene was one we went to last spring, i liked the wine and the view/scenery was nice. Added bonus there was snow on some of the highest hills in the area and we drove through snow in the mountains going from the coast to Willamette, must have dragged that with us from MN.

Really good article on how deregulation destroyed the airline industry (for those who have not flown since the 70s…everyone else already knows)

1 Like

I am also in the market for Costa Rica recommendations, in my case for a family trip. Better to stay in San Jose or elsewhere? Is a week good?

Not really - we like to explore and wander around, experience different places/cultures etc.

Yah also potentially looking to take a trip to Costa Rica if we can nail down a cool spot for an airbnb and a good jumping off point for various adventures.

I like to mix beach and cloud forest like Monte Verde.

Manuel Antonio is good beach. Other fun beaches are Tamarindo and Dominical. Avoid Jaco. If you really want to get off the beaten path take the ferry from Uvita to Drake Bay .

Lots of fun stuff to do around La Fortuna too - Volcan Arenal.

Toreguerro on the Caribbean coast is cool if it’s turtle egg laying-season (no idea if it is or not).

There’s also a dry forest (where the leaves drop in the dry season) up north that I want to check out some day.

If you spend a day or two in San Jose - look at the Finca Escalante neighborhood - lots of nice restaurants, coffee shops, gelato etc. I really liked San Jose and this area in particular.

2 Likes

You still planning a TR? Was looking forward to it.

Thanks this is great. Our travel month is June, which is apparently the “rainy season”, which is spooking the wife.

I’ve been pitching Costa Rica as it seems like a relatively straightforward/easier international trip as compared to doing Europe again. Also easier to get to.

Kinda like eskimos with snow, Costa Ricans have a bunch of different words for different kinds of rain. The most intense of which translates to “the sky is broken”. Tell your wife that, it will calm her down.

I was there at the beginning of the rainy season in May to the beginning of June. At least then it didn’t rain all day, just really intensely for a few hours.

Yeah I will I definitely owe one based on all the advice you gave! Been busy and lazy. I’ll do it this weekend!

1 Like

Headed to New York in a week to do the tourist thing. Should be fun.

3 Likes

Same experience in Nica with the rainy season.

Costa Rica alternative that’s being discussed: Peru. Would love any advice on that.

Currently Peru is on the “Level 3: Reconsider Travel” list with the State Department, hmmmm.

Not great right now. Some tourists just got stranded at Machu Picchu by a bunch of protests.

Not good right now. There’s low level unrest with riots and rioters being killed. Once it settled down though Peru is a great destination

As a child of the 80s, it feels very strange that Colombia appears to be a safer destination than Peru, but here we are.

I don’t think what’s going on in Peru right now is particularly dangerous for tourists. But your plans could be disrupted by protests shutting down the country.