Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Every time I check SW, one way is more than Spirit round trip. Delta is somewhere in between.

Spirit is totally fine as long as you know what youā€™re getting into.

Iā€™ve also never found a Southwest flight thatā€™s cheaper than the alternatives. Maybe for some weird regional flights?!

Southwest and Alaska are usually pretty close in price on SEA ā†’ LAS and PDX ā†’ LAS, but no bag fee for my golf clubs (or my wifeā€™s 15 pairs of shoes for a long weekend trip) on Southwest tilts it towards them. Also, itā€™s just 6k-10k Southwest points for these flights. And we usually have a lot of Southwest points.

Really depends on market. When southwest doesnā€™t have a nonstop or the best connection in a market, they generally donā€™t try to compete and have deliberately higher fares. The big 3 are sorta the opposite.

Spirit and Frontier will basically always be cheaper of course. But theyā€™re often not a great option due to schedule/reliability/baggage fees.

Southwest redemption points are a ridiculous value. Sometimes the flights are basically free.

Yeah I often find Southwest is the cheapest option if itā€™s major hub to major hub.

I fly from Chicago , and usually book relatively late, Iā€™ve noticed Southwest is particularly expensive when not booking far in advance. And of course Spirit and Frontier are cheaper, but so is United. And Delta. In 15 years of booking flights around the US Iā€™ve never taken Southwest. :man_shrugging: The prices suck and you have to fly out of Midway. No thanks.

My parents were happy with their service to Vermont though.

Iā€™m willing to put with a lot when Iā€™ve gotten a round trip from the Midwest with a four-hour flight as cheap as $38.

Midway Airport GOAT.

1. You donā€™t spend 30-40 minutes taxi-ing on the runway before takeoff or after landing

2. Precheck security line has never taken me more than 5 minutes to get through

3. Shorter walk from Terminal to El station

2 Likes

I usually find Southwest is best to non-hubs in my experience. Itā€™s the stuff like Portland to San Diego or San Jose where Southwest looks good. Flying into Denver or DFW or SFO something is more likely to be dominated by the big 3.

Iā€™m sure most here are aware but precheck plus clear is an absolute necessity and basically eliminates security hassles.

Flew Spirit once, from Vegas to SD. Long delay on the tarmac. They wouldnā€™t even give me a little cup of water. Not my favorite airline.

Had a much better experience with Frontier flying from Cleveland to SD.

Only suckers donā€™t bring their own (non-alcoholic) beverages onto those flights.

A sucker I am then. Probably figured itā€™s just a quick jump back to SD and didnā€™t want to spend $3 on a stupid bottle of water. Still donā€™t think itā€™s too much to ask for a simple cup of water when stuck for an hour on a tarmac.

Friend of mine is flying Breeze Airways this weekend. Will report what I hear.

Iā€™ve flown breeze. Itā€™s pretty good. Seats are comfortable, prices are low.

Sign up for the alerts when they have sales. Thatā€™s when SW really is worth it. Otherwise itā€™s about the same as everything else (if youā€™re checking bags, if not itā€™s probably a bit more).

I meant their specific hubs: DAL, HOU, MDW, ATL, BWI, OAK, BNA and a few more. If youā€™re going to or from one of those places, definitely check southwest.

1 Like

Flying out of Midway >>>> Oā€™Hare. Midway is closer to everywhere Iā€™d go (and I assume that is true for a lot of travelers).