Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

OK, then yeah, that’s just plain old Canadian bacon which is readily available and far inferior to USA#1 pig belly bacon.

I mean, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if there are some Canadian shops who do a better job with it than what you and I can pick up at the average grocery store here, but I think even something like Iberico Canadian bacon would have a hard time competing with regular old pork belly bacon.

Although to be fair, I’m pretty happy with almost any piece of salty pig at breakfast.

1 Like

Yeah, Ice Cube was definitely wrong on that count. Breakfast with no hog is not the start of a good day.

2 Likes

I don’t even think of them as “competing”, they’re different foods. One is fatty and smoky, one is lean and briny.

1 Like

Anyone been to Ireland in winter? Thinking of surprising my wife.

Italy travelers - did you do round trip tickets or fly into and out of different cities. I see round trip tickets for $700 out of Rome. That’s a juicy one.

Nope. They are a bit different. Canadian bacon doesn’t normally have the pea meal coating. :grinning: it is also normally cut thinner.

any good ideas for out of the ordinary long weekend getaways (domestic US)? looking for a mid-sized city, generally I like to stay in the city center so walkability is a big plus, good restaurants obv, maybe some museums. bonus if you can get from the airport to downtown via train, don’t want to rent a car and would prefer to avoid cabs/uber if possible. got a chance to scoot out of town on short notice and looking for something off the wall.

Cleveland. Serious answer, it fits all your requirements.

1 Like

yeah that’s actually a good one

Indy fits this if you are interested in biking at all. You could explore the entire city on a dedicated bike trail that is one of the best in the country. Not sure your other interests but we also have 4 different museums that are really nice. Plenty of good food and breweries.

Edit: glanced over the airport to downtown requirement. Probably not Indy then.

the airport-to-downtown thing is just bonus, not a requirement

indy is a good fit for the type of thing I’m looking for, but I’ve been there a lot (my last company had an office there downtown)

portland.

depending on the season, i might also say pittsburgh.

Charleston baby

Isn’t the Pittsburgh airport located in the middle of nowhere? Nice place but I seem to remember an exceedingly long cab ride from the airport to the city.

My random city vote is Chatanooga although I don’t think there’s an easy way to get to downtown. Once you’re there it’s quite walkable and dense with things to do though! I went there for a wedding pre-COVID and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Budapest directly after Vienna is an interesting study in contrasts.

Vienna is obviously a gorgeous city, inside the Ringstrasse is just dripping with beautiful architecture and high culture. But I kinda feel like the city is a model home that doesn’t feel lived in. Everything is almost too impeccably clean, organized and well, a bit boring. Anywhere that isn’t near the main street or a couple parallel streets is just super quiet and empty.

Budapest boasts a ton of architecture of its own and just seems like an insanely fun city. The bars and cafes that line the streets actually look fun and inviting. Of course there’s a layer of grime on some of the buildings once you get away from the Parliament, but I think that adds a bit of character.

And a big complaint I have about Vienna is that the river is an afterthought, there is little there, whereas Budapest has a couple nice bridges, a promenade, and a lot more to do around the river. It doesn’t hurt either that Budapest offers an awful lot for like half the price of Vienna in almost every facet, sometimes even less (metro tix are like 80 cents vs 2.50 in Vienna). Budapest might even be the #1 Euro option for a budget minded traveler.

I’d say Budapest vaults into one of my top cities in Europe.

2 Likes

Is Boston too big? Otherwise it fits your requirements

chatanooga doesn’t qualify as a medium city imo.

i think you are right about pitt airport. although i also found the city itself has plenty of walkable places to explore

You’re right, it’s pretty small. Still enough to do for a weekend I bet.