Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

I think econophile is actually from NYC, so no worries there.

1 Like

Toronto just got its own Michelin guide, if that’s your scene.

Good grief. Pork loin - easily the least edible part of any pig - has no business being called “bacon.” Crime against humanity.

Bad take. It’s delicious.

I would actually use more general restaurant guides or even Trip Advisor. There’s hundreds of good food places in Toronto and the Michelin guide will tell you about 20.

I know, they look great! I was just like, that sounds interesting, let me google what peameal bacon is: ”…made from trimmed lean boneless pork loin…” Oh. Oh dear.

I think it technically is bacon because “bacon” just means cured pork, really. Although in American vernacular it is very specifically smoked strips of bacon, which I agree is a very different thing. Peameal bacon is more like a brined meat and it’s very tender and also deliciously salty and porky and does indeed make a very, very good sandwich. I prefer with an over easy egg as well, the rich yolk and salty pork slices are a fantastic combo.

2 Likes

Anyone have any recommendations for the Banff area? Will be up there for wife’s conference, will be me and the kiddo solo for a couple of days. We have reservations for the shuttle to one of the lakes on Sunday but that’s about it. @clovis8 I believe you’re somewhat local to the area?

Take the gondola up Sulphur Mountain, you’ll get some pretty spectacular views.

I have never heard of these things before, but am curious enough to try when in Toronto. Can you get decent ones in other Canadian cities or is it really just in Toronto.

Can get anywhere but mostly a TO thing.

They’re also absurdly easy to make at home. I make them for breakfast sometimes. Also last year we had a “Canada Day” for my BIL’s American girlfriend. We made peameal bacon sandwiches and watched the Leafs get eliminated from the playoffs in typical heartbreaking fashion. It was pretty awesome. She was like “does this happen every year?” I was like “Oh no. Only the years they make the playoffs”.

2 Likes

For sure go to some of the lakes. Great hikes everywhere. The gondola is fun for tourists. Lots of good food depending on what you like.

Hit me up if you want something more specific.

I don’t need to know anything about the kink scene there but food recommendations would be great! I can take it to DMs if you prefer.

2 Likes

Think I’m going to try making some peameal bacon next time I buy a pork loin. I’m curious, and I buy pork loin much more frequently than I go to Toronto.

1 Like

This is a good list

If you can only go to one lake pick Moraine Lake.

1 Like

Great, thanks. I actually just changed my reservation to that lake. Initially the only ones I could find were to Lake Louise but it sounds like that one gets way more crowded and I checked again and was able to book Moraine instead. We’re pretty doubtful that our daughter is going to want to do the gondola but seems like there are plenty of other options.

Peameal bacon is just what we call Canadian bacon.

I’m not used to seeing cornmeal on Canadian bacon.

Its just on the edge, it’s barely noticeable even when it’s there. I do think it’s optional as well, its a holdover from when people would go to the butcher and buy a while brined porkloin. The peameal (or more typically these days cornmeal) is just there so it’s easier to handle and doesn’t dry out. If you’re brining, slicing, and cooking for sandwiches the meal coating isn’t really necessary.