Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Some states are the opposite where you can get alcohol through a drive-thru window.

Have you ever tried any of the crazy stuff that doesn’t really taste like traditional coffee? By that I mean radically different from anything Philz would have. If not, my advice is to just go for that right away and skip anything that sounds safe if you make it to Heart. Totally different world and you’ll know immediately if you’re into it or not.

1 Like

Can all you coffeeheads start a separate coffee thread for those of us who don’t give a shit as long as its hot and wet

https://adaptershack.com/t/yeah/s3-ec.buzzfed.com_static_enhanced_terminal05_2012_8_13_18_anigif_enhanced-buzz-30368-1344896148-8.gif

I don’t get how they price first class seats. I am flying to Phoenix tomorrow and did regular main cabin when I booked. I went to check in today and the flight is completely full except for the emergency row seats for $80 extra and the first class seats for $120. $120 extra for first class seats on a 4.5 hour flight? 100%

It’s a bunch of galaxy brained algorithms that often create completely inexplicable outcomes

Speaking of airline prices, my $800 flight to Seattle from Boston just dropped to $500 almost overnight. Must be the post summer drop. Need to cancel and reschedule because of lolairlines

Are they going to charge you $200 for this convenience?

US airlines have largely eliminated change fees (with some exceptions). But unless you booked it within the last 24 hours, you typically get the difference back as an airline credit and not a refund.

One small thing I recommend in these situations (if you are within the 24 hour cancel period where you’d get a full refund), is to rebook the flight first for the cheaper fare, and then cancel the original one. You never know what canceling and that seat opening up is going to do to their wacky pricing algorithms.

1 Like

I’m flying Chicago to Seattle in 3 weeks for $70 on lol Spirit

Just curious, when you guys tell someone what your airfare is, ie I paid $xyz to go to Seattle, is it basically assumed that’s the price of the round trip fare? I only book 1 way flights so I feel like I always confuse people telling them the 1 way price without specifying it’s not round trip.

For me, yes.

Free right now I believe! Because of COVID change fees are down a bunch

Also always say round trip too

1 Like

Yeah, I talk in round trips by default, and would say specifically if it’s a one way.

Default one way for me. IDK if it’s the same in the US but here there is no discount for booking a domestic round trip with the same airline. It’s just the one way fares added together. So it’s commonplace to book one way with one airline and the return leg with another.

Godspeed.

1 Like

Public service announcement:

If you’re looking for a nice onsen hot spring to visit on your next trip to Japan, this delightful young lady will help you find it:

@ChrisV

What else other than Gris Gris did you do here? I was out of town all weekend but weather looked hot.

I actually hit a stack of your recommendations. Ate at Peche, Gris Gris, Maypop, Brennan’s. All pretty good. Gris Gris I had maque choux and it was too fatty and heavy. Everything else was good. I wanted to hit Jacques-imos which was recommended by both CN and a NOLA expat I met in Estes Park, but it was closed while I was there.

Drinks wise I went to Carousel a couple times, and went to Frenchmen St which was not exactly what I was expecting. I was expecting something more polished along the lines of the NYC jazz scene. Had a pretty good time though. Also did one of the dumbass ghost tours, “Lewd Ghosts” or something, was pretty ok though, just walked around the city drinking booze and getting a mix of real history and bullshit that was fairly easy to distinguish. Went to WW2 museum. Went out to Oak Alley and on a boat out in a swamp to see gators etc. Played some chess hustlers on Bourbon St but did not set foot in any of the establishments along there. I think tales of its debauchery are overblown a bit but it was pretty much just tacky.

Weather was mostly OK, clouds keeping the worst of it away. Was bad my last day (Monday) like I was thinking of doing another history walking tour or something as my flight wasn’t till 8pm, but after a short walk to buy some wine to take back for my gf I was like fuck that I’m not going outside again. Ate Popeye’s for lunch that day as I’ve never had it before and was curious. Not great.

Made sure to go to Commander’s Palace when I visited NOLA. Not big on going to places with a dress code but i went anyway. Try to give myself a fancy meal from time to time.

Was expensive as all hell but man it was worth every cent I spent.