Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

In small town South/Midwest they’re probably well over half the independent coffee shops. It can be subtle too, so you just have to be very aware.

They’re also often connected to the churches that do aggressive missionary work. Do not want.

If I ordered a long black in America, I’m not sure I’d get coffee.

2 Likes

Have you been to a Phillz? Pour over is their whole buisness model, and they do it very well.

philz is … mediocre

Lasagne and chips? wat?!? Who the hell sat down to a plate of lasagna and decided it needed a side of fried potatoes?

Haha shats fired. What are they using? I’ve never been to one.

If only a handful of coffee shops on earth serve filtered coffee to pvn’s liking, maybe we can conclude that pvn just isn’t a huge fan of filtered coffee?

2 Likes

That would be considered a fancy menu where I live.

Go look at the coffee thread and you’ll understand why he feels that way

philz is fine, considering they are trying to do medium to city roast filter coffee at volume. Competent. I believe they do roasting in-house (not sure about that, though) and it’s basically all blends.

Yeah, what DUCY said. Lawnmower man is at a whole other level beyond that.

I don’t know. But I like a good lasagne. And good fries. So, I’d probably smash a good version of that.

:harold:

Looks like they’re grinding by the dose on a KR1203 then pouring (ok, dumping) into a batch brew basket. Was definitely not expecting to see that.

Sorry, can’t remember: you’re in Bay area or PDX (or neither)?

It’s not just me, we have a handful of people crushing it now.

PDX now, Bay previously.

1 Like

Have you tried Heart Coffee in PDX? Dunno if they can pour you an elite cup in their cafes but they are generally considered to be one of the top roasters in the U.S. by people who are quite opinionated about coffee. Maybe @pvn has actually been there and can dreamcrush it though.

I’m still gonna mention Equator. It’s one of my favorites from the Bay area and completely on brand for you:

Coffee conversation is always fascinating to me as a non coffee drinker, but I didn’t want to lose this complaint:

This is, like many other absurdly dumb things in America, a state-by-state thing. In my state (Virginia), you can buy wine and beer at grocery and convenience stores but not liquor, which is only sold in state-run ABC stores. In neighboring Maryland, all alcohol has to be purchased at liquor stores, which are privately-run (I think?). In DC, as far as I know, you can buy liquor at places like Costco.

It’s completely inconsistent.

I think Nevada might be the only state that doesn’t have stupid alcohol laws.

I haven’t been in their retail operation but I’ve had their beans and they’re great.

I’ve been to equator several times in SF (mostly at the Market St. location (which appears to now be closed), maybe once or twice at the one up near fisherman’s wharf), and my memory is that I’ve enjoyed it (I wouldn’t have gone back otherwise) but I am pretty sure I’ve only had espresso there.

1 Like

I’ve done ~0 exploration of PDX outside of a handful of nearby takeout places due to covid. With my girls vaxxed now, though, that’ll be changing. I’m not especially big into coffee, but I’ll keep an eye out if I happen to be in the neighborhood.