Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

This.

For example, I mentioned to my host in Ankara privately in the review that she needs to disclose that people will be sharing living place with 5 people (including her) but did not mention it as a negative in the public review.

Then again, she is a good faith host who missed something. She’s not some money grubbing scammer trying to milk guests out of every last dime.

Just entered my flat back home. Big summer trip over!

I’ve rented a flat for 10 months in Spain.
You can get really high quality appartement in the off-season.
www.idealista.com

Checked out my old neighborhood in Spain and shit things have gone up. I was paying 450 Euros a month in 2016. A flat of about the same size in the same neighborhood six years later is 650.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of Indonesia and the Philippines for having great (and accessible) snorkeling + diving + other stuff to do like jungle hikes, volcano hikes, waterfalls, renting scooters and having random beaches to explore. Between Bali and Lombok there’s tons of stuff to do including the diving/snorkeling.

In the Philippines, El Nido and Coron have just absolutely jawdropping beaches and lagoons and in Coron you can do really cool wreck dives (if your wife is into that) while at the same time have phenomenal snorkeling at places like Siete Pescados. Highly recommended. Although I’ve heard it’s gotten much more popular in the last few pre-covid years with the instagram crowd.

And I’ll just throw this out here, but in my opinion the best combination of untouched beaches, walk-in house reef snorkeling, and world class scuba diving, out of everywhere I’ve been in the whole world is Raja Ampat, Indonesia. It’s far away, you sleep in wooden huts, no wifi, only a few hours of electricity, but god damn it is the most fantastic place.

And then for the Americas, my list would be the Galapagos, NE Colombia, Roatan (Honduras), and Belize.

1 Like

I’m kinda surprised it hasn’t risen more than that.

We were traveling off-season (Dec - Feb) in France and Spain and places seemed way expensive compared to 2017.

I suspect the site I checked out was owners directly advertising their place rather than real estate agents. Tend to get better deals and obviously not paying commission is awesome.

1 Like

Nice! Which city?

You must be French with that spelling of apartment.

You might actually get more value buying through the Chase portal (where I think you get 1.25 cents per mile) than you would transferring miles.

I find that domestic airlines (Delta especially, which isn’t a Chase partner) are simply tying the miles price to the cash fare such that you redeem the miles at 1.2-1.3 cents per mile. You can pretty easily check award prices on United and JetBlue (which are Chase partners) and see how many miles it would be, and whether that would be more or less than buying through the Chase portal. I’m guessing there’s not a better deal to be had on the airline sites. (Although if you book direct, it’s a little easier if something goes wrong or you want to change your flight).

It’s a bit convoluted, but if American Airlines flies direct to Vegas from your city, then it might be worth a look on British Airways for award tickets, as it can often present good value, especially for shorter flights. They are a transfer partner of Chase.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know for sure. I thought they essentially become a travel agency same as Expedia, etc. - so you potentially end up like LFS where the airline says you have to deal with them - but I could be wrong. I found this article and there’s probably others (and more recent ones) out there on the topic:

Benalmadena at the Puerto Marina

It is a great location because there is a train going 45 minutes north and south. Fuengirola and to Malaga.

Bought a surfboard last year, didn’t get to use it. Nice waves 100m from the apparentamento.

1 Like

If it’s Chase Sapphire Reserve, yeah, booking travel through the Ultimate Rewards site is a really effective and easy way to get good value for your points. They’re worth 50% more that way. I find their search feature clunky, though, so I usually will use Kayak to find the flight I want, and then I go to UR to find it there, and it’s always been the same price for me there. I would have a high degree of confidence in travel booked this way, because if you have an issue, you can go to them for support, and their support is really good.

A good read for your question:

1 Like

Since this is now also the points thread, anybody who likes to bonus whore and needs hotels might want to look into IHG’s (Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, other generic stuff) new card. 140,000 point sign up bonus and only $3k spend to clear it. 4th night free when redeeming points. 5X on gas and restaurants. $99/year.

Internet suggests point value is only around 0.7 cents, but that’s still a lot of free money.

Can anyone tell me why a 1 ticket itinerary for a flight costs $789 with Google Flights but booking a 3 ticket itinerary for the same flight costs $4,230?

If I booked the flights successively would I end up paying $4,230?

The fare rises as the number of available flights decreases?

Do you mean booking 3 passengers on the same itinerary? Or is this a trip with three flights and you’re comparing booking a single ticket vs three separate tickets, one for each flight?

If it’s the first, it’s probably the $700 ticket requires a certain fare class that doesn’t have enough open inventory for all three passengers.

If it’s the second, most airlines price by market. The routing doesn’t matter, they just give you a price to start at A and end at B. Buying each individual flight almost always will be more expensive.

1 Like

If it’s the first, it’s probably the $700 ticket requires a certain fare class that doesn’t have enough open inventory for all three passengers.

It’s all the same cabin (economy)

MCO - HNL
July 24-28
Non-stop Hawaiian Airlines

Olympic hike was pretty fun. We did about 7 miles day 1 with packs, set up camp, then the next day did a 13 mile there-and-back out to Enchanted Valley with day packs, third day back out to trailhead. Unfortunately valley walks aren’t really my thing and I was hoping to scale some mountains in the Cascades, but it wasn’t to be. Still had a really good time. Small group, just the guide and four other people. The guide had done the entire Appalachian Trail and the entire Continental Divide Trail, continuously in one hiking season both times, so he had some stories. Interesting guy.

2 Likes

No pics?

I poasted a few in the Photo of Where You Are thread but here.

Edit: it randoed the order I posted them in but whatever

8 Likes