Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Check Turo, which is like AirBnB for cars.

ime, usually the reason they say they wonā€™t do it is because when they put a hold on your credit card for X dollars, itā€™s just a hold and not a charge. But when they do it to your debit card it pulls the money from your account and you canā€™t use it until they refund it. This pisses many people off, so itā€™s easier for them to lie and say they donā€™t take debit cards even though they do.

Oh wow, thereā€™s a million of them. We donā€™t have Turo here I donā€™t think. I guess Iā€™ll tell these guys to shove the reservation and do this instead. Anything to beware of?

Iā€™ve only used Turo once. It was in Vegas with a guy who has a fleet. I had no problems, but small sample size.

The same caveats for AirBnB apply to Turo. Doing your research and sticking to well-reviewed operators probably eliminates most problems. The daily rate doesnā€™t include fees, so donā€™t get too excited about prices.

Make sure your license is acceptable before you cancel your other reservation. It looks like it should be, but things can go wrong.

Thereā€™s an equivalent for motorcycles if youā€™re into that.

Is it a bad idea to fly to Jackson with a small quantity of capsules containing cannabis? Idea is to guarantee a decent nightā€™s sleep when Iā€™m out on trek. My concern is getting rekt at the airport by drug dogs, not sure if that is a possibility.

I wouldnā€™t fly with it.

Iā€™ve also read that it likely arose in Chicago because Chicago had a lot of stockyards/meatpacking at the time and many of the employees were Italian immigrants. Bosses would sometimes let them take home some of the excess tougher cuts and long stewing + slapping the final product between bread made a relatively cheap tasty meal.

1 Like

This is really down to your personal risk tolerance.

Your odds of encountering a drug dog at the airport flying domestic are basically 0, those dogs are all for bombs.

Proper credit cards are not common in Europe. For example, I donā€™t have one and havenā€™t had one since I left America.

Pretty nice to not jump into debt buying things I donā€™t need with cash I donā€™t have.

Arenā€™t credit cards strictly superior to debit cards (behavioral concerns aside)? Iā€™ve never once used a debit card, but commonly see people complaining about ā€˜holdsā€™ and such and remain confused why people use them.

As long as you pay it off in full every month, yes.

Not using a CC for everything you can is insanity.

The points plus customer service benefits on a credit card make debit cards completely pointless for a financially responsible person.

Iā€™d rather not have all of my purchases cataloged and cross referenced across dozens of privacy raping databases, tyvm. Sometimes the benefits are too good to pass up, but for everything else I pay cash.

Yeah, if it werenā€™t for the points and sign-up bonuses, then I probably also wouldnā€™t quite understand the desire to use credit card vs. debit (aside from some float, and maybe better benefits wrt disputing charges). Those two aspects are massive though, especially in the USA.

Credit card penetration in many European countries is much lower than the USA:

Iā€™ve always assumed thereā€™s less carrot and less stick associated with having a credit card in many countries.

itā€™s really bad. this is a product that many, many companies purchase on you after you make a credit card purchase with them. itā€™s then fed into machine learning models, and other things.

Lots of businesses these days are cashless. I guess you can technically get around that by prepaying a visa card or something, but at some point you just have to recognize that you have sacrificed your privacy at the altar of all-you-can-eat capitalism.

the whole points racket is not nearly as widespread for european card issuers either

@Krayz Itā€™s so much more than your purchases, too. I just read this yesterday.

The breadth of my consumer files was eye-opening. The reports included past jobs, about a dozen previous physical addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, salaries, past and present debts, assets and more. In some cases, the information was incredibly specific: My employment report, for instance, included a breakdown of the number of hours I worked each week when I was a server at a quasi-French restaurant in 2013.

@TheNewT50 Just because they have a lot of information doesnā€™t mean we should give up and let them have it all. The fact that weā€™ve already lost so much privacy is reason to fight even harder to preserve what we can.

1 Like