Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Since it originated with Italian immigrants in Chicago, probably not.

Well where’d those Italian immigrants get the idea from?! Back home maybe?

Anyway I was just eating Portillos and thinking out loud

I need help with terminology. I’m renting a car out of Jackson for one day. The rental company sent me an email saying this:

Please remember, debit cards are NOT accepted to qualify and our location, and the credit card must be presented in the renter’s name at the time of pick up.

What exactly is meant by a “debit card” here? I have a VISA debit card that functions like a credit card except that the funds are taken from my account. You can do anything you can do with a credit card on it, including placing a hold on some amount of funds. Is this going to be a problem?

It started out as cheap cuts of beef that were cooked using common Italian seasonings. The main innovation was to slice it thinly, supposedly to make the same amount of meat feed more people.

I suppose there are people in Italy who also cook beef and use the same herbs and spices. They may even use it to make sandwiches.

But it doesn’t seem to be a recreation of a dish that those immigrants remembered from back home, if that’s what you’re asking.

I say this as someone who hasn’t been to Italy, but it fits what I read about the history of immigrant cooking.

If you haven’t been to Italy, are you even a person?

That seems like a very Eurocentric view of the world.

It was a joke! I haven’t been to Italy either. But we’re certainly the minorities on this thread!

Yeah, it’s a problem, I’m at least pretty sure. Do you not have a regular credit card? But I would expect a company saying this to not accept your card. Not sure if it’s because they want to verify that you have at least $x in your line of credit or because many credit cards offer some sort of car rental insurance or what.

This actually might be a problem. Car rental companies try not to deal with debit cards bc its riskier for them and if something happens they can only draw against what the bank balance is, which might not be much or something like that.

You don’t also have a credit card? edit: ponied

OK, thanks. I don’t have a regular credit card, why would I?

The way it works here is that the company places a hold on the card for the entire amount of the excess. Whether this is part of your credit limit or is actual funds in your account, that is then locked away for the duration of the hold so you can’t use it for anything else. The hold is then released when you return the car undamaged. There is thus zero risk to the company that you won’t be able to produce the funds if needed.

It seems like I am pretty much screwed then. I’m leaving in 24 hours time. I can see if my bank can organise a credit card for me in that time but I doubt it.

Cash back and perks that debit cards don’t offer?

I have repeatedly used a Visa debit card in situations exactly like what’s being described with zero problems. They might pull a deposit from the account and hold it for a week or two, but I’d be really surprised if it was flat denied.

My guess is that you are using a well-known chain. Car rental companies have been more friendly to debit cards, but that they seem to be saying that they don’t accept them at that particular location makes me guess it is a franchised location and not corporate-owned.

100% of debit cards in the US work this way, and it’s specifically what they’re trying to avoid.

If you call the rental car outlet, describe your situation, talk about your international itinerary and how you are willing to put down a larger deposit, they might be willing to work with you.

When we talk about how life is harder in the US in a zillion ways for low income people with no credit, this is a nice minor example. Welcome to America!

The policies are different at different companies, but I’d just call them up and explain. They might be more lenient if they don’t think you’re a higher risk renter.

Yeah I don’t know, I found this in the Google reviews for the place

I called 2 weeks prior to my pickup date and asked about the payment options. An employee with very broken English told me “we accept all cards for payment”. My questions were barely answered due to the lack of English.

They neglected to tell me that Dollar Car Rental does not accept debit cards, prepaid credit cards, cash, checks, and credit cards from non-drivers. They ONLY accept credit cards with the driver’s name (and the driver must be 25 and older).

That sounds ominous.

The Google reviews are terrible, by the way, which I knew before I made the booking, but it’s the only game in town. Getting from Jackson to Grand Teton National Park is absurdly difficult considering that’s a major reason people come to the town.

Why, though? I don’t get it. It seems like they can’t be placing a hold the way they do here, otherwise why do they care? It is impossible for them to get stiffed here once a hold is placed.

I had this happen once and they just put a larger than usual hold on my card, but YMMV. I believe the rental company was Budget.

Did they say it was a Visa debit card? Did they confirm they were denied?

I had trash credit for a long time and only had debit cards. Lots and lots of companies would say they don’t take debit cards for things like car rentals and hotel reservations, but I whenever I handed them a Visa debit card they swiped it and it worked. Maybe everybody has gotten a lot stricter since I was in that position, but I kind of doubt it.