Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

I actually just searched that last night, and yah they’re still available.

Karlovy Vary is a stunning town to visit in Czech Republic. Unfortunately, it’s not really on the way to or from anything despite being a short drive from the German border, so it’s hard to plop into an itinerary.

1 Like

If I had to recommend a place in the CR outside of Prague to visit it’d be Cesky Krumlov. About an hour or so from Prague.

1 Like

Yah, we’re strongly considering just renting a car for a day or 2 and popping down to CK

Maybe CR - KV - Leipzig - Berlin :thinking:

I’ll be going to Chicago for a fee days in December? Any tips on places to eat drink or anything else? Anything I should try to see?

I ate at Girl and the Goat a few years back and it was a great meal. There’s a ton of stand up / improv there if that interests you.

It’s been a while, but my favorite place to eat downtown was The Purple Pig.

Also, find a bar that will serve you malort.

Alinea is one of the best restaurants in the country for a reason. It’s insanely expensive but one of those French Laundry kind of splurges if this is that kind of trip.

Boka is another excellent fine dining option that’s a couple of doors down on the same street and not as incredibly expensive.

And iirc, both are right across the street from Steppenwolf which is a great theater if that’s your sort of thing.

If you are in Lincoln Park, Jimmy’s Pizza Café has a serviceable New York style slice.

1 Like

I have been to the Purple Pig, and it was great

Everything mentioned so far is great. Two I’d add are Publican and Topolobampo.

Reza’s is supposed to be top notch for Persian food. I’ve never been, but my friend who is also a Persian food aficionado goes any time he’s in Chicago.

Anyone with any experience visiting Kyiv?

Traveling to Tokyo on Sunday. Any recommendations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Abura Soba Main Shop Ginza

I know that I’m patronizing you, but this place is…that good…

Broth-less ramen, which is weird maybe, but I totally loved it.

This photo was taken on my walk through the Ginza on the way to Bar Lupin, after crushing a bowl of ramen at Abura.

The bartenders at Lupin had this little walkie-talkie that I spoke English into and it spit out whatever I said in Japanese. I kept apologizing and saying “stupid American” into the machine after I ordered and they laughed and laughed at me.

I miss Tokyo so much. This is kinda weird to type out but I’ve never felt as alive as I felt walking Tokyo.

6 Likes

This photo was on the wall of a restaurant I wandered into. Perfect summarization of my experience.

4 Likes

Wasn’t familiar with this place. I’ll put it on the list. Thank you!

Shibuya and Asakusa areas were fun for walking.

In Asakusa I went to this “coffee shop” where they had like 50 Shiba Inus running around that you could pet and play with.

Lmao.

Shibuya was more trendy w great window shopping and people watching.

On ramen - my experience was that you purchase a ticket at a vending machine in the restaurant and then take a seat at the bar. There is a server that collects your ticket and gives it to the kitchen, so you never actually “order” food. As a westerner, this was confusing and intimidating at first.

7 Likes

renewing my passport and passport card. any tips? is expedited worth it? we are preparing to visit iceland in the winter