Trans women in sports: (with exclusive never-before-heard hot takes from men)

At least 95% of the people who raise these issues (I’m not talking about anyone here) don’t give a flying fuck about anything else regarding trans issues. It’s almost always bad faith.

4 Likes

I think this is where the liberal groupthink of online discourse can have some bad consequences. I’m an educated city liberal who has supported LGBTQ rights my entire life and have no hate in my heart for trans people.

I have questions about trans people competing against women in competitive sports. Looking at all studies put forth by both sides I think there are plenty of unanswered questions about whether it creates a fair competitive environment for women’s sports, which have given tons of women opportunities in education, to have platforms and gain recognition for gender equality issues in society.

I feel like even by saying this that I’m at high risk of being labeled transphobic or not a true liberal because I don’t 100% adopt the party line that’s been agreed to by the online community. And if I feel this way as a college educated Yuppie living in the third largest city in America, there are a shit ton of people who feel ostracized by any attempt to join these conversations.

14 Likes

This is not a hard trade. Sports don’t matter. Peoples identity does matter. Any changes the former requires to accommodate the latter are not important or worth wringing our hands over.

6 Likes

If this isn’t important why do separate leagues and competitions for men and women exist?

4 Likes

This is just fucking silly. Sports are the most important thing in a TON of athletes lives jfc. I don’t really care about sports either but a ton of people dedicate their entire lives to it, so yes if people are getting a massive unfair advantage over them it’s a big deal to those people too.

Tell the girl who dedicated and worked super hard her entire life to be good at her sport lol sports doesn’t matter stop complaining.

3 Likes

Is this actually happening?

Like, are trans dudes cleaning up in women’s sports?

1 Like

You’re gonna be shocked by this, but a few isolated cases have been blown way out of proportion to establish political narratives. Hard to believe!

15 Likes

Of course not. It’s nonsense.

2 Likes

is the best sum up I can find.

2 Likes

Other things matter more than sports. Peoples gender identity is one. This is 100% a non-issue raised to mask transphobia.

If every trans person joined a sports league today it would have a nominal effect compared to the harm caused by this “debate” and all the laws being passed to legalize transphobia.

I don’t buy anyone who claims to pretend this is a real issue. It’s bathrooms 2.0.

5 Likes

Three examples then paragraphs about Christian concern.

1 Like

This is just dishonest.

1 Like

Can you give some examples?

could they just create a trans division at the same meets for those athletes who just want to compete? i guess it will be much harder to do in soccer etc. but if it’s just high school students not really after scholarships and pro aspirations, it’s the equivalent of giving extra medals to keep people happy.

the article talks about a handicap system, i was thinking of an Elo rating instead.

Sure that’s an unfair summary but it lists three examples then as typical centers idiotic religious nonsense then in paragraph 4 gets into some substance which is all hand wringing. The the third to last paragraph contains this little zinger…

“For all the hand-wringing about transgender women ruining women’s sport, so far there’s little evidence of that happening.”

This entire debate is just the newest version of gay people can’t be teachers, trans people can’t use my bathroom, and what about the children.

It pisses me off a lot.

4 Likes

Could we not do this kind of casual misgendering please?

11 Likes

no, it doesn’t. It literally talks about an organization that brought a lawsuit. It’s clear that you’re mad, as you wildly misreading.

1 Like

What trans children need is a “back of the bus” league to emphasize how freaky they really are!

I know you don’t mean this but why not ask,

If every trans student joined the main soccer team how would this effect the cis people?

1 Like

The main thing preventing it at this point is that women’s sports pay their athletes peanuts. The WNBA might be the highest paying sport and it’s still garbage:

In 2020, the highest paid WNBA players are Sue Bird, DeWanna Bonner, Liz Cambage, Elena Delle Donne, Skylar Diggins-Smith, Brittney Griner, and Emma Meesseman. These seven players will each earn a base supermax salary of $215,000 for the 2020 WNBA season. The base max salary is $185,000.

For comparison the worst player in the NBA makes $898,310, the worst MLB player makes $570,500, the NFL is somewhere around $600k minimum salary, etc.

You are confusing a person’s identity with their position.

The position is transphobic even if the person is not.

The position is transphobic even if based on facts.

This sort of confusion is why it is so easy for racists to live in denial that they have any racist attitudes, feelings, or positions. They do not identify as a racist and can find all sorts of evidence to show they would not fairly be called a 100% bonafide racist, therefore they need not look any more deeply to come into awareness of the bigotry that almost certainly exists within them (as it exists within us all).

The amount of trans people in my life is enough for me to die on this hill. You are not disqualified from being a liberal just because you hold or express transphobic positions. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You know your own heart and intentions.

I just ask for you, as I imagine any of us would compel a well-intentioned liberal expressing any other bigoted position, to look more deeply. You can take responsibility for a position without apologizing for your very identity :heart:

9 Likes