TikTok, Yeah Don’t Stop!

I have seen exactly one other person post a tiktok on this site (hi boredsocial) so I decided I would start a topic for tiktoks here.

I have spent a lot of time wrestling with getting tiktoks to embed here. Some actually embed fine, a lot do not. There may be a way to adjust the default video embedding but the administrators here do too much already not going to ask them to waste time on this. I have tried downloading tiktoks and posting them here directly, but size limitations get in the way and tiktok does weird stuff with audio tracks so they don’t always carry.

So here I will post links to tiktoks I find amusing or interesting. Since this is sundry I will try not to post political ones but there are a lot of good ones at the moment.

I understand social media platforms do not exist in bubbles. So many tiktoks end up on YouTube, instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat etc and vice versa. I literally do none of those except Twitter and YouTube, but my YouTube is not likely to get me the stuff I see on tiktok.

I have found tiktok to be fairly soothing at times as I can find myself consuming 100 videos in 30 minutes at times, and you can get some pretty uplifting vibes. Their FYP (for you page) is the central focus of the site. It is what TikTok thinks you will like based on what you have engaged with previously. I find their algorithm particularly fascinating in how it adjusts what you see.

Bottom line is I was getting frustrated trying to post tiktoks in the relevant flow because of the problems listed above. It just created too much friction to interact with. At some point I felt it was just annoying people and since I already do lots of other annoying things here, I decided to go here.

I don’t want any hearts for this or anything I posted, but if you are feeling really frisky at some point, check tiktok out.

2 Likes

Note: Since the embedding is flakey you can click the first link at the top of the description to see the video.

1 Like

I am going to go back through some of my favorites and see if I can some to share [and I know some of these videos are staged / produced]:

Will note I will probably post a lot of dog tiktoks and zero teenage girls dancing tiktoks.

One annoying thing about the tiktok app is favorites are not saved to account but only to the device. I use two different devices so I will post more later. Plus the bulk of my recent favorites are all political.

1 Like

Honestly it’s been fairly incoherent and I am concerned by the extreme lengths she is taking via make up and dress to look “mature”.

One of her videos hit my FYP yesterday and I thought it might be in response to the election. Plus she quits once a week. Was trying to find the video I saw but can’t pinpoint it.

She does a lot of lip synching and dancing, which seems to be the primary form of what teenage girls do on tiktok.

This isn’t a great example.

The top tiktok creators are young females who literally just dance to music. I don’t understand it all.

Charli Damlio has almost 100 million followers. She is a Queen Maker and I think she is like 15 or 16. She only dances. And provides millions of followers to her family and friends.

Tiktok is interesting because of the way FYP works you get what you like. It’s funny seeing progressives say they got stuck on the right wing tiktok.

Anyways back on topic I am worried about Claudia. Hopefully her dumb ass parents wake up.

My tiktok feed is a genuinely wonderful place. It thinks I want to watch some really good content and I think everyone thinks that. It’s probably not a good thing that your tiktok for you page says a lot about you as a person.

It’s digital potato chips, consume in limited quantities. It’s really good though.

1 Like

Don’t worry zara… you turn on tiktok and it won’t show you anything you don’t like. It’s actually crazy how perfectly that algo figures out what you enjoy and serves it to you.

I literally wishcast in one of these threads that someone had video of their trump neighbor taking down their campaign shit… and then I got on tiktok and someone had that exact footage and it was like the third video it served me. Fucking glorious. Such a massive dopamine rush.

This is also why I think it’s a really good idea to not use too much tiktok. I think there’s a lot to be learned from it in a ‘how do algorithms work’ kind of way which is why I started using it… now I just marvel at how great it is at doing what it’s designed to do.

It’s like a really really nice watch. We should enjoy it while it lasts. I’m sure they’ll eventually make it suck more to serve more ads. I’ll miss it.

1 Like

Now there is some dancing I like. There are some crazy good dancers on tiktok and obviously a lot of trends revolve around dancing.

#notpolitical

I will add Gordon Ramsay has a very popular account where he duets with chefs/cooks and basically berates them for thirty seconds. I will drop one here next time I see one.

This is what they give me :laughing:

1 Like
1 Like

Tiktok is addictive.

3 Likes

Delete while you still have the chance! Run!!

2 Likes

What does and doesn’t embed depends entirely on the Discourse developers and how quickly they can adapt to the constantly changing requirements of platforms like Tiktok.

1 Like

Somehow WA police infiltrated my tiktok :rage:

1 Like

It is… but fortunately I can just spend a few minutes and burn through a lot of stuff.

Not saying I haven’t once or twice realized I was watching videos for several hours or more.

1 Like

I downloaded tiktok out of curiosity back in like June. I deleted it in July when I realized I was losing over an hour of sleep every night because I’d start watching videos in bed and not stop for at least an hour. It’s mesmerizingly addicting.

2 Likes

It’s ok you’re super super weird. I mean that in the nicest possible way. If you give tiktok another try I would consider feeding the algorithm by typing #cats into the search bar and watching the results. The algorithm will figure it out in about 10 seconds and then begin serving you videos that people who like cat videos also like.

1 Like