The War on Voting

I did a search, didn’t see a thread.

Florida, man. As almost none of you may know, I was a pretty yuge advocate on the other board for voting by mail. What’s not to like? They mail you a ballot, you fill it out, you mail it back to them. You don’t get an “I Voted!” sticker, but who cares? You made up for it in convenience.

The only thing I never liked about vote by mail was the signature requirement. If you don’t sign the outside of the envelope, your vote goes into the trash. If you DO sign, and some half-blind boomer septuagenarian elections volunteer doesn’t think the signature you provided when you registered matches the one on the envelope, your vote doesn’t count. And you’re not even informed of this, it’s just poof, bye bye vote. Hmmmmm maybe this system isn’t all I’ve cracked it up to be?

Cue Florida, man, where there’s always a way to make a bad situation worse. Due to recent changes made by our GOP-controlled legislature, not only are we required to sign the envelope and give up the secrecy of our secret ballot. Now they want our e-mail addresses, home phone numbers AND mobile numbers! All on the envelope where anyone who handles said envelope can access the information. WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?

Anything to limit access to voting for people who work and/or don’t have the means to get to a polling location and/or time to wait 2 hours in line.

Yay!

For a second I thought, huh, I vote by mail, maybe that’s a problem, but probably not in CA.

1 Like

They’re just going to keep cheating. The mask is off.

Any democrat not for auto registration and voting as a national mandatory paid holiday is either in on it or too stupid for me to support.

11 Likes

That’s nuts. I always vote in person because I don’t trust the mail or other people to enter my vote correctly. But I get that it’s a good idea for people house ridden and can’t get out

I have a friend who lives in Tucson and he told me the other day that he got his ballot in the mail, but it said that if his candidate didn’t make it in the primary then he doesn’t get to vote in the general? Anyone ever hear of that? Didn’t make sense to me and he didn’t read the whole thing. He must be misunderstanding it tho

CA GOAT has a ballot tracker you can use to check your vote by mail ballot’s status.

If anybody wants to wager on whether mail in ballots from poor and minority communities are thrown out at a higher rate than those from The Villages, I’ll lay -1000 on the “yes.”

1 Like

Every single moronic fuckwit they interviewed said, “Gee whiz, this seems like a bad idea. I can’t imagine why they would do this.”

As does Washington. Theyve been doing mail only ballots for forever and it seems like they have it down just fine. Main difference seems to be dem controlled state congress v rep controlled state congress

It’s not a requirement, it’s an ‘optional’ extra. The argument is that it can be used to more readily track down those voters who’s absentee ballots have been flagged as unsatisfactory in some way. Of course should someone opt not to provide the info it’ll readily be used as an excuse as to why it was impossible to contact them in time.

It’s also a super dumb security risk

I’ve voted twice in 25 years.

Completely against auto registration and mandatory voting. Before I go on, no one in the western world should be compelled to vote…isn’t that what they fought the world wars for? So I can have a right to choose certain things or not choose depending on how I feel?

I’ve had arseholes waffling in my ears for years saying that I ‘MUST VOTE’, some even go as far as saying I don’t deserve an opinion on all the shit created by politicians because I never took part in the electoral process. Each and everyone of them have got short shrift from me.

Registration itself is undemocratic by its very nature. I don’t have to “register” in order to enjoy most other Constitutional rights, except for carrying a gun around in public which is ldo, why should I need to “register” to vote?

2 Likes

Automatic registration (or no registration required) is great. Mandatory voting is horrible.

4 Likes

I am one of such arsholes. If you can’t be bothered to vote, your complaining is not much worth.

Manadatory voting is not cool, but what is totally cool is to make fun of every single complain about anything from someone who can’t be bothered to vote.

Voting is not a guarantee for things going right. + USA has a very weird voting system. But it is a minimum that everyone can do. And in my POV it is moral requirement to have voted if you want to complain afterwards.

You can gfy telling me about morals.

I’d say that it is immoral to put some of the complete arseholes that have ended up in charge of countries to be in charge of a piss up in a brewery.

Still haven’t found one politician that I feel represents me.

I’ve voted in I think every election since I was 18 (might have missed some off presidential years ) but don’t agree. We didn’t join the country by choice. We were born into and it was forced on us. I don’t think you must participate in ruling (insofar as voting actually does) in order to complain about it.

1 Like

You always have choice. It might very well be that no one, especially with voting system of just two parties, represents you. It might also very well be that your vote changes nothing. But you have to use the power you have, even if it is not a lot, to move things better direction. How can you ever expect to move things direction you want, if you don’t use EVERY SINGLE POSSIBILITY to move things!

The signature match check is especially ripe for abuse these days since I believe all the signatures on file are collected via an electronic pad, which never look like anyone’s actual signature.

2 Likes

Victim mentality. I mean… Complaining without changing anything… So weak!
And a straight way into unhappiness.

I find myself in maaaany situations that I didn’t choose. I might even complain about them, but if I complain, then I try with all my might to change them.