The unblockable Elon Musk is not serious; it's time to move on

This. From what I understand their charging network is just way way better than the infrastructure for other EVs. It"s a huge advantage for Tesla.

I believe they are opening up their charging network to other manufacturers though so maybe that could change.

Honestly, they did it years ago when Elon made the charging patents open source.

The other companies just ignored that and kept on with their own designs. Ego? I dunno.

Yeah this was a big pull for me. Maybe it’s not as impressive as it seems but having a supercharger within 50 miles of wherever you are (NE) was a major plus for me. As for range stuff i have mine on miles and had it at 1 mile when i pulled into home once.

1 Like

Interesting. Tesla is at 12% of overall market share here, where 80%+ of all new cars are electric. Other manufacturers are deemed to have caught up to Tesla, and chargers are no longer much of a competitive advantage either.

Could be interesting for the rest of the world given that Norway is way ahead of the curve with massive government subsides (that are gradually being phased out) both for the EVs themselves (lower taxes, free toll road passage, free parking etc) and for the charger network.

Also the world’s 5th largest oil exporter and 3rd largest natural gas exporter. Well fucking done Norway. ■■■■■

Yes we suck at environmental policies in general, couldn’t agree more.

Nah, Elon didn’t actually make the technology open source, if you look at the fine print. It was all a standard Elon PR stunt.

Eventually big government is going to have to step in and set a uniform standard for everyone, this is like a textbook scenario for when free markets need regulations.

3 Likes

This is the way. And in 21k miles I’ve only had to charge on the road two times. 99% of daily driving is under 300 miles. My parents have driven their Y from NJ to the Keys and back, to New England and back, and other smaller trips. Never had any issues with range or charging. It’s so seamless unless you actively try to fuck it up.

1 Like

I feel this is somehow relevant to this thread.

I guess you could argue that the implementation method (leveraging federal highway funding) was a bit too neo-liberal, but Biden administration is basically going to force interoperability through some of the provisions it put in the infrastructure bill and the inflation reduction act

DOT Releases Final Standards for Federally Funded EV Charging Stations | Crowell & Moring LLP.

1 Like

USB-C

2 Likes
4 Likes

Solid take:

1 Like

huh something I hadn’t seen before, an ad running before a video on twitter.

Click this (epilepsy warning…if flashing lights trigger seizures, then do NOT watch this)

https://twitter.com/itsmefrenchy123/status/1685177000913502209?s=46&t=k3YA52U8SV6oodQANcy20g

1 Like

9 Likes

Ha, that’s exactly how I described it to my wife.

Reverse angle from someone who lives across the street.

https://twitter.com/realchrisjbeale/status/1685353135236403200?s=20

1 Like

My only activity on X for a few months. Seems legit.

5 Likes

See on my home screen today:

IMG_2687

I never downloaded an app called X!

2 Likes