The unblockable Elon Musk is not serious; it's time to move on

I wonder if Elon says “zee” or “zed”?

1 Like

Meissner effect or bust. Day 1.

Made good progress on the list of to-dos. I'm doing this all after-hours, so it's been a long day. Since we're gated by the delivery of the PbO + Pb(SO4), which should be tomorrow, we're working on infrastructure first. pic.twitter.com/CLHlL5DOul

— Andrew McCalip (@andrewmccalip) July 27, 2023

Regardless of how unlikely this SC claim may be, armies of graduate students are in their labs right now, trying to replicate it. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Related

15 Likes

Also related

I want my social media company to also be a bank because that’s innovation!

2 Likes

I played the odds. A lot of suckers in this poll but I hope they’re right.

In case I’m out of line for the Elon thread:

I guess he changed his mind.

He was awesome. I squared R heating is why room temp superconductors aren’t needed to carry power long distances efficiently. Just jack up voltage.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 24, 2019
2 Likes

About a decade ago, Tesla rigged the dashboard readouts in its electric cars to provide “rosy” projections of how far owners can drive before needing to recharge, a source told Reuters. The automaker last year became so inundated with driving-range complaints that it created a special team to cancel owners’ service appointments.

9 Likes

If this is true the consequences will be significant in terms of civil liability, brand damage, goodwill, harm to future sales, and potentially criminal liability.

1 Like

Meh, I think range issues in EVs are so misunderstood that it’s hard to care about articles like this. Fwiw I have 21k miles on a 2022 Model Y and am getting a good bit better than the rated range over a mix of cold and warm months.

That being said, tesla/elon obviously are scummy if they were intentionally lying on their cars abilities. I’d really love to see Tesla the company without Elon involved at all. And I’m excited that so many other car companies are quickly getting good competition on the road.

3 Likes

Elon should be jailed but I’ve never had a gasoline car that actually reaches the advertised miles per gallon so whatever

6 Likes

Is Tesla viewed as the dominant EV manufacturer in the US market?

Absolutely. Roughly half of the market share of EVs, and an overall market share of a few percent at this point (which isn’t negligible in automotive terms).

If I had to buy an ev today I would buy a Tesla and I work for one of their direct competitors. Sure they have thei problems but so do most cars. But their charging network is damn impressive.

1 Like

Sure, until they get converted into bitcoin ATMs and you have to pay 8 bucks a month and send a praiseworthy Xeet about them every day or be locked out of the charging capabilities.

5 Likes

Every big charging company and automaker now making nacs standard I think. So if this is an issue now, it won’t be soon? Tye 7 automakers who announced a network the other day will use tesla’s connector I believe.

1 Like

I get a sense the superconductor critics are their changing tone a little. Now it’s more like let’s wait for replication rather just calling bullshit. I bet a good number of them are also trying it, if they can, just in case. It turned out there are 3 versions of the paper, one of them disavowed by the PI. Another version seems to be deemed more interesting. Anyway, here’s your Elon content:

when you’re driving down a hill, don’t hit the gas, let gravity do the work

1 Like

I switched the readout on my Tesla to percentage remaining and have never worried about it since.

I bet these complaints are all from people who insist on using the miles remaining display.

4 Likes

I have no idea if Tesla fucked around with this range stuff, but I absolutely believe that Elon Musk would at least approve of such activities and foster an environment where it would happen.

2 Likes

I don’t know the details, but this is what it made me think of in terms of “oh shit!”-ness.

2 Likes