The unblockable Elon Musk is not serious; it's time to move on

Does ketamine at parties and thinks he’s Kary Mullis. mf doesn’t even talk to extradimensional raccoons smh

1 Like

Mullis convinced me Hillary was the smart one of the family. Too bad he didn’t let me know she was too smart to be president.

6 Likes

Mullis convinced me that I shouldn’t always listen to Nobel laureates.

3 Likes

Mullis convinced me HIV doesn’t cause AIDS. j/k

I had to draw the line at astrology.

It’s a research institute, Numenta. Here are two books he’s written.Books by Jeff Hawkins | Numenta Here are published papers. Numenta Research Papers

Haven’t read his second book but the first is a solid attempt to understand how the brain processes information. I believe he’s concerned about faithfulness to neuroscience, so the goal is not to do supercomputing like current deep learning but but to understand how slow system without much power, like the brain, operates to produce intelligence.

7 Likes

I assume she meant “big” but from what I’ve seen from that guy I think “bug” is also fitting

2 Likes

Is that bribing the same way YouTube bribes people to post on their platform?

I’m assuming someone is already reverse engineering the payout formula to decide whether it would be profitable to fund a bunch of blue checkmark bots to engage with each other, right?

2 Likes

I’m sure Doug Polk has already thought about that.

that headline :eyes:

Opinion | ‘Elon Musk Is Doing for Zuckerberg What Trump Did for George W. Bush’ - The New York Times?

Regulation is also kind of antithetical to the original ethos of what this was supposed to be. Do you remember that really super melodramatic Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace that came out from the Electronic Frontier Foundation in the 90s? I looked it up, and it was — here’s how it began. It was like, governments of the Industrial world, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from cyberspace, the new home of mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You’re not welcome among us.

I am all on board with the fragmentation of that illusion of the public square that Twitter gave us. It was just like, talking to ourselves, yet while thinking you were talking to everyone. Nothing I hated more than when someone on Twitter would say, hey, read the room. You know, like, well, we’re in different rooms. We’re not even in the same house sometimes, so like, shut up. I don’t think that was healthy. I think some fragmentation of that is healthy.

You’d have the right-wing conspiracy theories and the left-wing conspiracy theorists, and they all had their own, quote unquote, “platforms,” whether it was a radio show, or some people would record things and send them out on tapes. There’s a huge and very varied history in the United States of the ways in which conspiratorial disinformation material moves around. And I think that rather than having a central clearinghouse for it where anyone can come and go and get it, having it fragmented on lots of different platforms feels, to me, a lot more manageable, in a way that those types of theories have a harder time getting into the bloodstream of the body politic, because they’re sort of stuck in these cul de sacs.

Comparing Twitter to Threads:

a key difference between Threads and Twitter is that Threads moves completely in the direction of algorithmic curation. And I seem to be the only one who’s really actively playing around on it.

But it’s super interesting, because it’s built on the back of Instagram. It’s all of the people that I follow on Instagram, which tend to be like much less about politics and much more art and entertainment, and I follow a lot of food and restaurant things. And so the feed that I’m getting fed on Threads looks very, very different from my [Twitter] feed.

6 Likes

I don’t know how to evaluate Threads yet but so far it seems a good deal worse than og twitter for an anonymous/gimmick user, but the main problem is a bunch of news people aren’t on there yet/if ever so it’s not worth checking atm.

if you zoom in far enough, her face already looks 60.

Praise the Sun

Zucc has said he doesn’t want it to be a big news/politics app