The unblockable Elon Musk is not serious; it's time to move on

Discussion on new twitter setup.

From Elon’s twitter (https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1674942336583757825?s=20)

"This will be unlocked shortly. Per my earlier post, drastic & immediate action was necessary due to EXTREME levels of data scraping.

Almost every company doing AI, from startups to some of the biggest corporations on Earth, was scraping vast amounts of data.

It is rather galling to have to bring large numbers of servers online on an emergency basis just to facilitate some AI startup’s outrageous valuation."

Elon has a good point there. Much of the current AI hotness is predicated on stealing peoples content and exploiting the infrastructure that other people have built. I don’t think it’s acceptable.

The licenses, compensation models, law, technical solutions, attribution, security and privacy all need time to catch up. Regulation has a role to play as its a bit of a free for all right now.

The irony of Elon mentioning “outrageous valuations” though!

This isn’t going to make them stop either. Musk is about to see a spike in account creations using the method of lowest resistance. I expect “sign in with apple” will disappear as an option soon, given its requirement of supporting “hide my email” that makes it trivial to create multiple twitter profiles from one apple ID.

1 Like

If anyone knows about outrageous valuations it is that fucking guy

Sorry, you are rate limited.

Wtf. I’m logged in but can’t do anything.

1 Like

The entire Internet is predicated on this, you could replace “Much of the current AI hotness” with “Reddit” and the sentence still works perfectly.

1 Like

so he broke all the embeds and links by requiring an account to view tweets…

and this morning i got a “rate limit exceeded” from just browsing shit.

Lmfao, it’s so cool how my boss thinks Elon is “brilliant.”

According to ~half the country, Trump is the greatest businessman we’ve ever seen and Elon is the genius we have been waiting for. Just complete dissasociation from reality and we all have to live together and vote together and work together. It’s really great here.

7 Likes

unverified accounts only get to see 600 posts per day according to Elon…

3 Likes

Masterful gambit sir!

3 Likes

This will definitely lead to an uptick in subscribers and not a cratering of traffic, Internet users love paying for subscriptions.

2 Likes

Old twitter would have taken eight months to do this. Elon is a doer! He just goes!

4 Likes

More subscribers is good for his numbers.

Advertisers will love this! They’re crying out for a restriction on the amount of eyeballs their promoted content can get.

20 Likes

Holy shit I didn’t even notice that the paid suckers are also limited, what an absolute fucking moron.

8 Likes

This is hilarious.
If you view a couple popular tweets you get locked out.
What a genius.

Haha, it’s 11 am and I’m locked out of twitter. So much winning

3 Likes

3d chess breaking the addicts outrage mainline

In all seriousness, I’m in charge of district social media for Senator Atkins. I spend a lot of time on twitter looking for local things to retweet/highlight, searching for relevant accounts to tag in pictures and tweets, and just generally keeping an eye on local happenings/sentiment on twitter.

This could actually impact my job.

9 Likes

In unrelated news

5 Likes

What counts as viewing a tweet? Scrolling through your feed, or only if you click on the tweet?

1 Like