The TSLA Market / Economy

Ahh gotcha. But yea, must be pretty sad to go on an a trip like that and the conclusion was that you shoulda stayed home to invest more in real estate. Oof.

Although I can kind of agree with him, because I’ve spent 3-5 months out every year for the last decade traveling, and now I’m thinking maaaaybe I should saved a bit more. Eh whatever.

I regret a lot of stuff I’ve blown money. Traveling isn’t one of them. Then again I’m never traveling to just go sit on a beach somewhere. It’s always a life experience that I treasure, or at least a great story if it goes wrong.

2 Likes

Let’s fight.

Sitting on the beach is a great vacation and those that need to jam pack their vacations with tons of acitivies need to get a tougher job.

8 Likes

Absolutely. There’s nothing wrong with it at all.

I’m just saying that kind of thing is more just pure pleasure (for some, I just suck at beaches) vs. experience.

I personally might regret blowing a lot of money on travel that was just pleasure. I’ll never regret a trip that added new experiences.

1 Like

No you’re supposed to argue with me I said let’s fight!

2 Likes

Ace of Base is vastly underrated.

2 Likes

I used to live on St. Thomas. St. John is incredibly beautiful and relaxing. If you really want to slow down try Tortola some time.

2 Likes

As someone from a cold weather state i probably value great weather and beaches a lot more than people from CA or Florida. Just about every big vacation I take is during our winter months so I can get the fuck out of the tundra for a week or two

And that article about the dude who paid off his mortgage is just sad. I can’t imagine going through life regretting that stuff and saying damn i wish I would have worked more 60 hour weeks, disgusting worldview

Yeah that’s a big reason for me. I live a mile from the beach. I want a deck surrounded by pine trees - that’s exotic to me. Also I hate heat and humidity. My pure pleasure vacation is in the mountains somewhere.

A guy name Surf who just wants to lay at the beach?! Username does not check out!

Personally I need something in addition to the beach. Half day beach lounging + something active like scuba diving or jungle hiking or renting a scooter or whatever.

Looks like this is the travel thread now!

1 Like

This was 1992 - crack was still pretty new to the island. Supposedly before that violent crime was rare. We lived on a hill above Charlotte Amalie and would hear gunshots a lot. There were definitely neighborhoods you didn’t want to go into.

Otherwise it was pretty fun. We just waited tables and partied.

North side of the island is cool and mostly fancy houses.

I’d imagine it’s better now in terms of crime, as everything since the late 80s/early 90s.

I kind of get where this guy is coming from and have similar feelings myself sometimes. Yes, I understand this is a problem, but feel free to flame on.

5 Likes

We’ll give you the sharper of the guillotines

I see it as more of an EV calculation:

“If I’d worked hard for 2 more years now, I might get 4 or 5 years of more leisure later on”

Thinking like that isn’t that useful if you don’t live long enough to get the payoff (or have good enough health), but this guy is pretty young, so I can understand how he might feel regret about that.

Never went there. But I know some who really like it as more of a real working place than just a tourist/expat island with poor locals.

Too many people have big travel plans for after retirement, and then they slowly realize that they actually don’t feel like putting up with rigors of travel at that age, and they’re just happy to move somewhere with nice weather and do the normal old people stuff. If you don’t travel while you’re young(ish) there’s definitely a good chance that it just never happens.

I figure if the retirement account never totally fills out, then there’s always Mexico or Central America on the cheap!

But I’m not worried because I’m holding CCIV, so early retirement here we come! :airplane: :airplane: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket:

2 Likes

Maybe we’re coming at this from different angles. I have no issue with the sentiment above, quite the contrary. I was basically a workaholic and sacrificed a lot in order to have a high enough savings rate that I could stop working when I was 50.

But the idea that you shouldn’t pay off your mortgage early because it might rob you of your “hunger” and motivation to keep earning just seems insane to me.

And even more insane is this message being preached by somebody who already has $3M and more income than like 90% of US households.

It just struck me as similar to the guy complaining that his $500K salary or whatever isn’t really “rich” since private school tuition and country club fees are so high.

3 Likes

Yep - that’s why I plan to hit the road as soon as covid lets me. I don’t have faith I could still do this in my 60s.

All my friends who have had two kids basically seemed to disappear until the second kid is old enough to not have to watch every second.

1 Like