The TSLA Market / Economy

That is a pretty aggressive timetable for learning imo.

I have no special knowledge, but I think at best we hit bottom in tech in 6 months – meaning a tight job market then.

All those companies overhired for growth that doesn’t exist, there’s a few out there to go for sure, uber, lyft, airbnb. Like why does redfin fucking exist at all?

id be more focused on whether you actually enjoy it than on what the job market looks like

I learned to code in 6 months and got my first job after that easily (made a “portfolio”). 2012 though.

This is a really good point. I’ve been programming off and on since I was 12 and could have very easily turned it into a career at any point, but every time I start writing code I’m instantly reminded how much I loathe doing it.

For my wife actually. Shes pretty well versed in things and really enjoys the work, and is looking to start testing the waters. The layoffs have introduced some skitishness though.

https://twitter.com/emollick/status/1590440700147281920

3 Likes

its a good skill to have to get you in to a company but its not a good long term career, ideally you want to use it as a springboard to a higher up position where you get paid more but do like 1/5 of the work that coders do.

lol. I don’t do shit. I work for reals 20 hours a week if that. I mean ask suzzer gb or jmakin how much they work. Its a joke.

1 Like

I work 1 hour a day and that’s mostly meetings where I’m surfing the web during the meeting.

I do get busy sometimes, but it’s been a while. I actually begged my boss not to give this big project to a vendor that everyone knows is going to fuck it up 10 different ways.

But no. Politics. Contract already signed. Can’t admit we’re not all super super busy. So busy. Very very busy. So at least that’s removed my guilt about doing nothing.

1. imo yes
  2. imo yes. I think it is always a good time, despite the tight job market ahead of us. The salary floor, even if it takes another 6 months to continue learning and get a good job, is so much higher than other industries. I have literally quadrupled my previous salary after just a few years experience by learning to code and moving into tech. Depending on the person’s background and whether they actually enjoy the day-in “grind” of being a software engineer (see Grue and suzzer’s work load), there are also many paths that someone can take after getting into tech like engineering management, project management, technical sales, solutions architect, etc.
1 Like

Any of the tech guys have a CS degree? Because that ship is obviously out. Does good fundamentals and bootcamp background lead to getting some looks?

I failed out of a math & CS double major after my freshman year, if that counts. Finished up studying geography, then got bored with my job and started to learn to code. I went down the bootcamp rabbit hole because I needed more structure and concrete projects to feel confident enough to land a job. I was in a very non-tech area that didn’t have any in-person bootcamps, so I had to look online and, back in 2015, Flatiron School was one of the few reputable brick-and-mortar camps that had an online offering, which they just started. I hemmed and hawwed for a few weeks before eventually signing up. They offered a “money back guarantee”, so that was what put the decision over the edge for me. I even ended up putting a fair amount on a credit card with 20% interest knowing that it would take me a little bit to pay it off.

Years after getting my degree in physics, I took 2 programming classes at SF City College that led to my first job. Just take some classes and get your foot in the door somewhere.

I’m in this picture and I don’t like it

1 Like

For all that’s wrong with the tech industry, the opportunities it affords to make a good living without needing a bunch of bullshit credentials or connections are pretty amazing

Why do you keep doing it off and on if there’s no professional reason and you loathe it?

Because I’m an idiot who keeps forgetting how much I hate writing code.

This is one of the craziest statements I’ve ever read!

Agreed. I’ve systematically turned down management at every opportunity because I don’t want to be at anyone’s beck and call, and I like coding.

Management is a slow grind towards not being technical anymore, and having all your worth rely on playing politics. Yuck.

I don’t have to tout my own accomplishments or worry about who gets credit - because everyone knows what I’ve built and how much harder their jobs would be if they lost me. Management just lifts right out.