The TSLA Market / Economy

Any other industries in particular?

I’m pretty sure I posted about it in here when I bought it, but I’m very bullish about CVCO, a manufactured/modular homes company. They crushed earnings today, and somehow dropped lol, I bought more. They rate to do well in an affordable housing crisis, which seems to be where we are inevitably headed. They’re investing to grow the business as the opportunity approaches and they still have significant cash on hand and virtually no debt.

The percentage of homes that are manufactured/modular are very low relative to the norms a few decades ago, and it’s pretty easy to see a lot of reasons for that to revert to the old trendline.

This is a really good point that I haven’t seen anyone make before!

And this is why the financial advisor job I turned down that didn’t push this bullshit only paid like $55-60K or whatever it was.

At least they’re not in variable annuities where they’re paying 3% in fees to invest in funds they can just buy outside of the annuity for less.

I think generally something like 1 yr T-bills have paid better than an online savings account (although that didn’t seem to be the case in '20-21). An online savings account is more liquid and carries no interest rate risk though.

2 Likes

Half the people in Publix are bitching about the prices to everyone around them but still won’t go somewhere less fancy.

thats how you know we still have a long way down to go, people are starting to feel some pain but theres not blood in the streets

In 2000, I told my buddy he was crazy for buying a house in Mill Valley for $500k. The dotcom crash was going to tank Bay Area real estate.

LOL ME

2 Likes

It would be perfectly fine to go with the T-bill - especially if you live in a state where your CD account is subject to state taxes. Your T-bill is exempt from state taxes.

I’d imagine banks would just be slower to adjust their rates compared to what the treasuries offer which may be part of why CDs re a little lower right now, but not positive on that.

I don’t know what fees you’re seeing for getting a t bill but it should very minimal at most, unless it’s some new bullshit move they’re doing right now.

1 Like

Capital one is offering 3% + 1k if you deposit 100k and leave it for 90 days in a new savings account, so effectively 4%. Seems like a good deal if you have the cash and want to stay liquid.

Robinhood just went from 3 to 3.75.

Yep, Robinhood gold. I’m not sure if cash is FDIC insured ir not.

Sofi is at 3 as well

My 401k with fidilty money market is current oy at 2.65

Twitter employees are not appreciating being fired

Main takeaway I must admit is the employee is 8 months pregnant and has a 9 month old baby lol. How about giving the breeding a rest for your body’s sakes.

1 Like

I’m assuming they’re doing some rounding here, but if she followed the commonly recommended pelvic rest of 6 weeks, she probably got knocked up approximately the first time back at it. I guess we can give the couple the benefit of the doubt and assume the birth control failed and they didn’t want to abort.

Anyone seen anything better than this? I have a large chunk of bankroll and I’m currently deciding what to do with it.

Basically researching the highest ~risk free return I can get. It’s extremely unlikely I’d need to touch it in under 90 days, so it doesn’t have to be 100% liquid - I have working bankroll (liquid) and a year’s living expenses (I bonds). This is the “break glass in case of downswing” portion of the bankroll, so I can’t risk losing a big chunk of it in the market but I’d like it to be earning me as much as possible.

Edit: It occurs to me I have some bookmarked posts to go read in the individual economics thread, actually, that my address this, as I think I asked some form of this question in less detail there.

I wouldn’t trust RH or SoFi. I know someone who had their SoFi accounts drained and they told him to fuck off it’s his fault and not fraud. He ended up getting the money back, but only because he DM’d the head of their legal team on LinkedIn.

2 year treasuries are yielding 4.5%+

1 Like

Layoffs are coming

At first I was scratching my head because that’s higher than the 10 or 20 year, and I didn’t look at shorter. But that makes perfect sense.

Only thing is, if the Republicans drive us over the debt ceiling cliff, would bonds still be safe? I would assume not?

US debt default is kinda gg for the global financial system, so it probably doesn’t belong in your analysis

1 Like