The TSLA Market / Economy

Range Rover or Land Rover I forget which, he is truly an idiot. He financed hair implants

4 Likes

The American economy has been built for decades on the premise that people like him should never receive a comeuppance for the mismanagement of their personal finances. You say financing hair implants is transparently stupid, the PhDs in Economics from Ivy League schools say that it’s a sign of strong consumer confidence.

2 Likes

and here I think those idiots should get the most severe comeuppance possible in a financial way

I’m sure some, but most are just idiots

Details on tax advantages of buying a nice car please?

Even though there’s about a 1% chance I do it. I bought my well built economy certified pre-owned car in cash and I’m enjoying my lack of payments.

Your brother in law is Negreanu?

1 Like

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but all my life I have been a miser who would rather drive the shittiest car around than pay interest on a depreciating asset, so while I’ve owned some very shitty cars (as did my parents from whom I inherited this trait) I have zero experience with car payments. So what were car payments like in the before times?

On an unrelated note, I think I may be revising my opinion on the whole matter. Last year I spent some time researching lease hacking, and it’s insane some of the deals people get.

Financing a hair transplant makes infinitely more sense to me than financing a car especially for someone who is financing that expensive a vehicle.

1 Like

Always been curious about this also. People don’t seem to lease cars in Australia ever, don’t think it’s a thing from my experience in Europe either (but car ownership is obviously much lower). Was tempted to lease when interest rates were insanely low.

I think leases here aren’t as near as common as purchasing. Most people buy, but when they buy, they take a loan to pay for the vehicle in full and then pay off the loan over a period of years. A good number of people buy and just pay the whole thing in cash (most everyone at the Bogleheads forum which Riveman hate reads, and fortunately, curates for us.

Lots of people lease when they are obtaining a car through a business for reasons I’m not 100% up to speed on. When you negotiate the terms of a lease there is an interest factor in there (which for a depreciating asset, my body rejects), so I just dismissed car leasing as dumb. But if you check out how these lease hackers approach it, you can get a great deal. The best deals are ridiculous, but if you want such a deal you don’t really have a much of a choice in the car you get. It will be new and very nice and you will only have it for a few years. I guess if you have no firm timeline to buy, eventually a deal may come up on a car you actually like.

1 Like

Novated lease is a thing in aus. Decent tax advantages. Was definitely better for me than buying cash outright. But requires your employer to sign up.

These gotta be all time record airline prices this winter… $3000 to fly economy from Miami to Tokyo?

Despite all the inflation talk, Americans seem pretty fucking rich right now.

When the fuck is everyone going to run out of money?

Ha I worked on developing some legislation around that a few years ago in response to some weird cases of tax evasion using novation schemes.

Lots of people are out of money but not out of credit yet.

They might run out of credit soon. Headlines are already talking about how people households should deal with their high accrued consumer debt.

The options outlined in this article are, um, not great.

There’s a tax write off for vehicles for businesses but one of the writeoffs has a minimum weight for the vehicle in order to utilize it. Or at least there was such a writeoff at some point, not sure if 2017 tax changes spiked it.

1 Like

I ventured into the lease hacker forum a few years ago when my wife was looking and yeah some of the stuff they get is wild. She didn’t get anything like that because she was fairly picky about what she wanted in the car.

As for car payments a few years ago compared to now her monthly payment was around $650 on a $65-70k car, I just looked at the same model for 2023 and I think a lease would be more like $850-950 per month. It’s been 3 years since her lease so she just got done buying a new car, the monthly payment is stupid high.

Way back when I used to live in Philadelphia and go to AC a lot (so like 1999-2004), I used to play poker at the Taj. There was very often this older guy (older than me at the time, which could mean anywhere from 35-50 at the time) who ended up at my table. And I hated him. He was so surly and nasty to the dealers that he just destroyed the vibe of any game he was in.

Anyway, he had these terrible hair implants–only slightly better than Tobias Fünke’s–and my friend and I just referred to him as “Plugs”. The point of this story is that I desperately hope that Riverman’s BIL is actually Plugs.

3 Likes

Thanks… If there’s an EV over that weight, I might look into it!

Where do I find this place?

3 Likes