The TSLA Market / Economy

Adobe lost $30b in market cap after announcing a $20b acquisition lolololol

3 Likes

Would a declining population negatively affect a first world country that’s balls deep in the development of AI for businesses? I could see the ease on health care and on carbon footprint and a more effective AI workforce but haven’t thought about it for more than a few mins, tbh.

world population isn’t declining any time soon even if it would in the western world

wouldn’t be surprised if some states started thinking about leaving in the US if not trying to fracture it, we’re too polarized now, ie, one side or the other if the other was president. Though it’d get super weird if we split into two parts with one having all the people and most of the coast and fun, and the other having all the crops.

The technical term used in sophisticated capital markets circles for this is a Whoopsie. Pour one out for the poor Adobe execs who will only get $10 million in bonuses and DSUs instead of $20 million. It’s tough out there!

Stopped reading here and liked your post and respect you more now.

what does this mean?

Assuming you’re asking about the second part, basically some variation of this:

We’re already mostly there, there’s a reason capital funnels into money in cash incinerating app based disruptions trying to pump and dump and/or invent some new regulatory capture opportunity.

It’s not like we see Doordash is nonsense and the super wealthy are true believers. It’s that they’re out of ideas or innovations that aren’t fucking fairy dust.

4 Likes

Door dash as a concept should work though. Restaurants all employing their own in-house delivery people is really fucking inefficient. Door dash itself shouldn’t have any fucking overhead. How much overhead is needed for an app that decentralizes per diem delivery people? The implementation is just clearly fucking bonkers. Same thing with Uber. The tech behind Uber should be cheaper than employing human dispatchers at individual taxi companies.

You probably feel better when stocks are going up because you lose money when stocks go down. You don’t get an extra up year later just because you have a down year now!

1 Like

One of the root problems here is that a bunch of restaurant food just shouldn’t be delivered. The most efficient application of a Dash type service would require a bigger disruption that firmly divides the restaurant space into dine in only food and delivery food. Foods like pizzas and American Chinese (that travel well and had a natural parallel delivery and dine in service) are the exception, not the rule. Apart from normal LOL techbro capital incineration stuff, the biggest problem with Door Dash is probably that their basic promise of delivering your favorite restaurant foods to your door is a false promise. Their model makes more sense if it is paired only with natural delivery food partners and specialized ghost kitchens. Shoehorning a delivery service into a restaurant model that never intended to delivery food is an economic inefficiency that you can’t over come with an app.

3 Likes

The problem with door dash is consumers are not actually willing to pay for the cost of the service. So you get all kinds of subsidies paid for by venture capitalists for what is ultimately an unprofitable business.

1 Like

It makes sense in certain markets where the population and restaurant density is very high so you can have bike deliveries, etc.

It makes no sense when I can order from a restaurant 15+ minutes away (unless that place has so many orders they can group with others near me). That is going to always lose Door Dash money.

What about a self driving food truck with robot chefs that prepare you food as its driven to you? Damn look at me giving out billion dollar ideas for free. You’re welcome.

I still crack up at your old post of “Did you know Door Dash has a subsidiary that lends money to restaurants? Because I know that I want my pizza delivery company to also be a bank because that’s innovation!”

On the flip side, it’s much harder for you to pack up and leave if things go sideways.

Even then it has to be the right kind of food. Door Dash in Toronto is trying to deliver everything that the restaurant serves for dine in and it’s stupid. Cold soggy fries are a disaster, for example. Plenty of food is terrible when it’s packed in it’s own steamer for 30 minutes and then delivered to you lukewarm.

Except it also doesn’t in markets with those characteristics because I can often walk 5-10 mins and pay $12 for the same meal that costs me $22 through the app.

That could be a legitimate concern for some people in some places. But there are no realistic scenarios where I could earn an income elsewhere but not here, and if I have to flee non-coastal Massachusetts for any other reason there probably isn’t anywhere to flee to.

I think also can work the other way. My favorite Indian restaurant shut down for COVID and upon re-opening seems to have concluded that dine-in is unnecessary. They only do pick up and delivery and are completely closed for dine-in. They still operate out of the same space with a large dining area, but it seems that they have concluded that it is more profitable for them to just eliminate dine-in. I wonder if they will change locations at some point to cut down rent.

I guess they could eventually open up for dine in, but it seems to me like they would have done that already if they felt it was profitable to do so.

45 posts were split to a new topic: Packaging, Waste, and WAAF.