The Transition of Joe Biden: what's everyone Yellen about?

None of that is my preference though. I’d probably abolish land ownership (right to buy and sell), most corporate protections and people having more than a few million dollars. And by ‘abolish’ I mean have the state stop protecting those things. And then be pretty laissez-faire about how people might get their $3M if they are so fortunate.

I think growing up white in Oklahoma and then becoming absurdly rich pegs it with your taxes.

That’s the fundamental issue when people grow up wealthy or become wealthy, so much of the important things a government supplies have little impact on the day to day life of rich people. Tax cuts have a huge impact, at least as far as they can see.

It’s a bad reality that is not easily fixed as it requires a level of empathy and consideration most people never reach.

It is probably also why the military gets so much support. It becomes an issue that can grab that demographic’s attention for at least bursts of time.

But trying to convince people with hundreds of millions we need more money to feed people with SNAP, they just think about how they hand out turkeys at Thanksgiving.

I wonder if he is even that political. Seems like party affiliations are a name tag most people affix to their chests at one time and then that is it.

1 Like

To me it makes sense. It has to be even more palatable to the person passing the wealth on as opposed to having been taken from them while tfru were still alive.

I do think this needs to be a way to increase taxes, unfortunately much like every 30k a year Republican stanning for billionaire tax cuts, you will have most people opposing it even though it doesn’t relate to them or their family at all.

The fantasy of one day being super rich is a huge albatross on proper taxation.

Good post right here.

This week at LM Labs, we’ve been noticing that Grandpa Joe looks even older in some of these photos and videos that are washed with bright lighting and environments. So we developed a filter to draw this effect out even more. Here’s the first pass:

3 Likes

This kind of will surely get you a job with the RNC or DNC, probably in a bidding war.

1 Like

I already made the heel turn and accepted a large offer for the technology.

From Instagram.

Biden administration hasn’t even started yet and I’m already enraged at how little they’re going to accomplish.

Are they even going to try for tax reform, haven’t heard a peep.

2 Likes

What the actual fuck fucking schumer

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1351297814953943040?s=21

2 Likes

Dems gearing up for a massive stimulus bill that’ll inevitably trickle up and zero tax rises on the wealthy thus ensuring the working class are super fucked forever woo

1 Like

I think they’re all-in on prioritizing COVID at the expense of other policies and are willing to compromise to get the smoothest vaccine rollout possible.

It’s been discussed in this thread.

Lmao dude the Republicans still wont give them shit and block everything possible are you fucking kidding me. Jfc

2 Likes

Biden immigration plan:

Ron Klain, Biden’s incoming chief of staff, said Saturday that Biden will send an immigration bill to Congress “on his first day in office.” He didn’t elaborate and Biden’s office declined to comment on specifics.

Advocates were briefed in recent days on the bill’s broad outlines by Esther Olivarria, deputy director for immigration on the White House Domestic Policy Council.

Domingo Garcia, former president of the League of Latin American Citizens, said Biden told advocates on a call Thursday that Trump’s impeachment trial in the Senate may delay consideration of the bill and that they shouldn’t count on passage within 100 days.

“I was pleasantly surprised that they were going to take quick action because we got the same promises from Obama, who got elected in ’08, and he totally failed,” Garcia said.

Ali Noorani, president of the National Immigration Forum and among those briefed Thursday night, said immigrants would be put on an eight-year path to citizenship. There would be a faster track for those in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which shields people from deportation who came to the country as young children, and Temporary Protected Status, which gives temporary status to hundreds of thousands of people from strife-torn countries, many from El Salvador.

Vice President-elect Kamala Harris offered similar remarks in an interview with Univision that aired Tuesday, saying DACA and TPS recipients will “automatically get green cards” while others would be on an eight-year path to citizenship.

https://twitter.com/MsKellyMHayes/status/1351333188577189890?s=20

4 Likes

What does it mean to be on an eight-year path to citizenship if you don’t have a green card? Do you get an eight year visa? Are you supposed to dodge ICE for eight years and if you successfully dodge them, and there’s not a Republican in office in eight years, you get citizenship?

Eight years. Convenient.

6 Likes

My guess is that it would use the Registered Provisional Immigrant Status (or something similar) that would have been created by the 2013 immigration bill that didn’t pass, which would have allowed people to work legally in the US and cross the border and come back without becoming legal permanent residents.

So, I think it would be RPI for five years, assuming you can pass a background check and make sure any back taxes and fees are paid. After five years, you get a green card if you keep your nose clean. (The 2013 bill would have required ten years.) Then, three years later, you can become a naturalized citizen. (It’s five years to citizenship for normal green card holders.)

Because it has a shorter timeframe and doesn’t include the border security provisions of the 2013 bill, it’s possible that this has been positioned somewhere to the left of where Democrats are willing to compromise and has room for compromises to win Republican votes.

How about citizenship now and fuck Republican votes?

4 Likes

I assume Nashville proper is blue, so he might still be OK there.

ok, I admit, this looks pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1351362846626611202?s=20

6 Likes