The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I liked the E1 setup. E2 and E3 are too cute with the mystery by more than half.

She amd the CAL guy need to get together. Clearly he and the Russian lady have duplicates/alt universe versions in our universe.

yeah I didnā€™t have jon banks straight up murdering alex jones on a cruise ship on my episode 3 radar to say the least.

I skipped through ep3 and yeah, woof. Rapace gave an interview where she says basically ā€œstick with it gets good I promiseā€ lol, always what you want your stars to say. I donā€™t know how a 8 episode show can only show us this much after 3 so its most likely going to be a train wreck but Iā€™ll skip through the next one I guess.

oh shit i didnā€™t know we had deleted scenes

https://x.com/dailysimpsons/status/1628863215777067012?s=20

4 Likes

So Tokyo Vice season 1 is currently on TV in Germany. On their website you can watch the episodes but only after 10pm unless you make an account and verify your age. :smiley: So I guess its one episode a day for me before bedtime. But it is a weird version. Sometimes they speak japanese with subtitles and sometimes they speak german for some reason.

Apparently SNL didnā€™t show this

Donā€™t know why, thought this was great

5 Likes

I mean, Bidenā€™s fucking old. So is Trump. This is like one of the few instances I can think of where ā€œboth sidesā€ is kind of fitting.

1 Like

I think Iā€™m weird in that Iā€™ve enjoyed all the live action adaptations Iā€™ve seen so far. Like, they arenā€™t prestige pieces but they are pretty enjoyable.

I wonā€™t be happy until I see bloopers

The Tourist on Netflix. Irish guy gets in a car crash and wakes up in a hospital in the Outback with no memory. Goes about trying to figure out his life, seems to have a shady past. 2 episodes in and itā€™s a pretty good watch.

Liberty Biberty

Jon Stewart has always used both sides for material. People acting like he shouldnā€™t be making fun of Biden or dems donā€™t seem to understand theyā€™re watching a comedian on a comedy show on Comedy Central. If it ever seemed skewed one way thatā€™s just because the gop/fox provides more material.

And he had a laugh about the response to his first show back. It hardly felt like Bill Maher ā€œthe kids are wrongā€ crank shit.

6 Likes

Just a quick little interview with the lead actors/producer of Shogun. Didnā€™t realize that, unlike the original mini series, this one is Japanese-produced, so Iā€™m optimistic it will be a much more authentic viewing experience. Canā€™t wait for it to begin (and need to subscribe to Hulu or FX so I can watch it!).

2 Likes

What a time to be alive. Watched Poor Things a couple days ago, which is in my top 5 fave movies ever.

Shogun first 2 episodes were so elite and get to the read the book as well, about 300 pages in, planning to stay just ahead of the series, while using it to clarify things I might have been unclear on. So far it seems pretty faithful to the novel.

And going to see Dune 2 in IMAX tomorrow, which by early accounts, is another good/great movie.

3 Likes

Interesting! For context, other favorite movies of yours?

1 Like

Panā€™s Labyrinth, Prestige, Godfather 2, AmĆ©lie, Schindlerā€™s List

2 Likes

Still never seen Schindlerā€™s List. Itā€™s just too depressing for me to watch. When I was in middle school I was hardcore. Into European WWII history. I devoured everything I could at the time.

I am a big Spielberg fan and I am sure the movie is excellent, I just could never bring myself to watch it. I am sure I am missing out,

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen it either. Right around the time it came out I visited the Holocaust Museum in DC, which was devastating, and I figured that was enough.

1 Like

I really loved Amelie when it was new. It came to theaters in a limited rerelease recently and I went back, andā€¦I donā€™t know, it just didnā€™t have the same magic for me this time. Still good though. Really strong top five.

It holds a special place for me, b/c it was one of my first films I watched in French, and language learning has been a huge hobby of mine. Plus the soundtrack is so damn memorable. I can hear those Yann Tiersen bangers in my head now.

Midnight in Paris is another that objectively is probably good, not great, but would be near the top of my list b/c when it came out I was just starting my nomading journey and connected so much with Gil (Owen Wilson), who had a fascination of foreign cultures, while everyone else in his family thinks heā€™s a weirdo. Also, Marion Cotillardā€™s character is unreal in that. Probably the character I most have a crush on. And another soundtrack I listen to constantly.

1 Like

Yeah, I kind of guessed that Amelie and Panā€™s Labyrinth were indicators of a similar trajectory to mine, where I feel like those were the two first great foreign-language films I saw in quick succession back in the early 00s and opened my mind to watching more and more of them.

Unfortunately Midnight in Paris fell super flat for me, which surprises me given its reputation. I like most Woody Allen films, love the cast of that one, and other people have a really high opinion of it, but it gave me a shrug at best. Itā€™s possible I owe it another look sometime.

3 Likes