The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I think you probably could, but it would take insane effort without any significant benefit.

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty much it. My effort at the beginning was insane. But at some point you have to stop studying and start living.

1 Like

I think thereā€™s also a different kind of skill thatā€™s more about casual integration, and the only way to do that is to give yourself that distance. So more like as long as you stay fluent, being casually fluent is a skill all its own.

I think the only way you become truly fluent is that when you are speaking in a language, youā€™re thinking in that language.

Probably the best thing he could to reach the relatively useless goal of becoming native-speaker level fluent (and I would say having an accent doesnā€™t preclude this) is just not speaking, reading, or writing in English at all for like 5 yrs. Iā€™d be surprised if that wasnā€™t enough.

1 Like

Good point. I think you know youā€™re fluent when you start dreaming in that language. Assuming it didnā€™t only make sense while you were asleep lol

Thinking & dreaming in the languageā€“those are a given for fluency. When speaking Japanese I never ā€œtranslateā€ in my head. Itā€™s 100% thinking in the language. Plenty of dreams in the language as well.

But thereā€™s a difference between being fluent and being a native-level speaker. Iā€™m definitely the former and definitely not the latter.

(We should probably continue this conversation elsewhere in the forum.)

1 Like

1 Like

Whatā€™s the difference? I think that native-level is just a higher degree of fluency.

I donā€™t think itā€™s that big a deal. I think weā€™re pretty close to the end.

1 Like

The best way I can describe the difference is to say that a person who didnā€™t know Japanese listening to me speak would not be able to tell the difference between me and a native speaker, while a native speaker would definitely notice a difference. Mainly, slight trip-ups in grammar & pronunciation from time to time, and a vocabulary less expansive than that of a native speaker.

Itā€™s still possible to be/sound fluent while having relatively poor pronunciation, a limited vocabulary, and even while making some grammar errors. All of which a native speaker would never do.

2 Likes

I donā€™t like this standard because your accent could easily give you away to a native speaker, even if your Japanese is technically flawless. I see that a lot in the US with English. I know lots of people for whom English is their second language or even third. They speak it flawlessly. Zero grammatical errors. Understand most common slang and idioms. But they have an accent that makes it clear that they are not native speakers. Sometimes itā€™s subtle and sometimes itā€™s obvious, but itā€™s nearly always there. However, they probably have a better command of the language than a large percentage of people who speak nothing other than English.

I would put people like this in the native-level category, even if itā€™s obvious that they are not truly native speakers.

15 minutes into the Christmas episode of The Bear. Somebody get me a fucking xanax

9 Likes

Well you just said it yourself. The accent difference (in this case) differentiates them from native speakers. In other cases it may be slight grammar trip-ups. Or using a word or expression that conveys the proper meaning in the situation, but is colloquially different from what almost any native would use.

Once again, a non-speaker of the language listening in wouldnā€™t be able to pick up on these differences. But a native speaker would.

In your example, the non-native may have better command of English than many natives (my own Japanese instructor was such a person). But they (and she) are still not native speakers from the perspective of a native.

Fluent? Yes. Expert? Yes. But native? No.

Seriously. Why am I not watching these episodes high?

3 Likes

Oh also, this guest cast is unbelievably stacked

4 Likes

Thereā€™s certain vocal sounds that each language has and otherā€™s donā€™t. You can be fluent and be able to approximate those sounds but you canā€™t always get them to be as good as a native speaker, hence an accent.

ROI for RBIs!

3 Likes

JLC absolutely taking home an emmy for this episode, right?

Iā€™ve only watched that one once. Itā€™s great stuff, but itā€™s not exactly one to play on a loop. I canā€™t totally remember the ins and outs of her performance even though I obviously remember the broad strokes.

Fucking John Mulaney off the top rope with the worst grace of all time.

1 Like

Throw the fucking fork is surely Emmy worthy.

1 Like