The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Yeah, I mean they went pretty safe in the delivery by panning to glaring audience members after the first time, which was essentially an immediate blaring announcement of “the offensiveness is the bit.” It was the correct choice for the setting, but Nathan Fielder would probably scoff at the cowardice of it all.

1 Like

Lol well I can’t argue with that.

Speaking of Nathan Fielder, I instantly recognized his voice last night when watching The Night Before, a very funny Xmas comedy movie focused on three friends (not Nathan) on their last big holiday night together.

Idk if it’s brave but it was good and funny to recognize Nathan’s voice so quickly.

Yeah I would have guessed it wasn’t.

I thought Banshee was pretty fun, but you legitimately have to suspend disbelief a LOT MORE than I’m really comfortable doing. Some of the characters feel very, very stereotypical, and without the ironic distance that e.g. The Boys has.

1 Like

Agree. I need to care about the characters or be on a ride as a voyeur. Banshee didn’t offer either from the first episode.

I like how ironic distance in The Boys becomes heartfelt angst in Gen V.

1 Like

Sopranos season 3 I believe I’m in the midst of watching Tony’s therapist breaking bad. Tough episode to watch.

I totally respect that and expected that Banshee isn’t for everyone, as you could probably guess from my description. I would also say that from memory, ep 1 is probably the least Banshee episode of Banshee, and would recommend giving a couple more episodes a spin some other time to be sure. When they start digging into characters and their relationships and histories it feels like there are actual stakes and you actually care what happens. Again, it may just really not be for you but ep 1 might not be the best litmus test. Cheers

1 Like

Fair enough! I’ll try out a couple of more episodes.

1 Like

Episode 3 of Fargo gets a big nodrake from me, if we keep heading down this path I’ll probably give up on it just like last season.

I didn’t realize

1. The Curse was co created with Ben Safdie, who also made Uncut Gems

2. Ben Safdie is playing the producer Dougie

I got around to watching the first of these new episodes. Personally I didnt enjoy it that much. I though the plot was mediocre Dr Who fare, and the revisiting of the relationship between Donna and Tennant’s Doctor seems like a much weightier thing than should be rushed through in 50 minutes. Bringing Donna back seems like the plot for a full season, not a special.

So much TV to catch up on but I got my wife hooked on Bosch so I’m doing another full rewatch. I would not have predicted she’d love it as much as she does. Her favorite character is Chief Irving, was difficult breaking it to her that Lance Reddick is no longer with us.

Re: Bosch. Don’t know is anyone here reads Michael Connelly, but I have been a dutiful reader of his books for 30 years. The most in spirit part of the TV adaptation is how the second series is ostensibly about his daughter, who instead turns out to be a secondary character in her own show. In the novels, Bosch is a Vietnam vet and one of the best parts of the books is the increasingly tortured scenarios Connelly has to construct to justify this geriatric retiree (now pushing 80!) still being out there chasing murders and seducing women. Connelly has made several attempts to start series around other characters, but they all inevitably become Bosch series as soon as they discover that they are his secret half brother or some such. My prediction for “Legacies” season 3 is that Maddie spends the entire series in a coma while her dad finds the guys that shot her.

Pretty significant on-screen year for him. He was also Margaret’s dad in Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret along with a smaller part in Oppenheimer.

1 Like

Michael Imperioli, famous for playing Christopher in The Sopranos, is the judge for the Tubi original food competition series Pizza Wars.

He better say this at some point

2 Likes

i hope he pronounces it pitzurrhea

1 Like

Babish is the only culinary social media person that drives me nuts. His advice and recipes are awful, it hurts me that he somehow does this for a living. I am enraged just thinking about it.

2 Likes

Lol I just saw that episode!

1 Like

He judged one of the episodes I think. First We Feast channel on YouTube has them

1 Like

My son and I followed his video (mostly) to make buffalo wings and they turned out great. They are also just wings, so it’s not like it’s difficult.